Engine Spares for a Long Cruise

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

You guys kill me.  The information is fantastic, but sometimes I think might be better off sticking my head in the sand.   Never ask a question you don't want to know the answer to.  I posted the following on another forum:

"Too Much Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The coast guard does a nice job of laying out the minimal requirements of what you have to have on your boat: flares, lifejackets, fire extinguishers, what not. Can't legally leave the dock without em. And most would agree that it's a reasonable minimum. Good seamanship would suggest the minimums ought to be augmented with other gear and training if you're venturing more than a few miles from the dock, but we don't regulate it in law. We allow idiots to kill themselves. It's one of our last great freedoms.

So the reasonable person is on their own to sort out what they need. It's a problem that is more complicated when you embark on a "voyage" instead of just heading out to the familiar cruising waters for a week or two. You must be self sustaining in conditions that you and your boat have never encountered. The burden of good seamanship is higher as it ought to be.

In the old days it was easy. You would read a book or two, the Hiscocks or Pardeys or whatnot and gather vague bits of information and do a lot of thinking on your own and perhaps draw on the expertise of your local chandler or surveyor if ever you lack information or have to reconcile contradictary advice. You made your decisions and you went with the best information you had at the time.

Now we have the internet. At your fingertips, the knowledgable and the ignorant all offering their opinion. In the old days you might read a magazine article about turning your dinghy into a liferaft and be happy and make it so. Now you might ask the question of thousands and receive 30 strong opinions. And soon you have several irrefuteable bits of anecdotal data, links to test data on liferafts, and a few ridiculous opinions. You reach the conclusion that not only do you need a liferaft, but anything less than an $8000 SOLAS approved offshore version will place your family in imminent peril. So not only do you have to sort through all of this stuff, but the end result is you will ratchet up your costs or knowingly make decisions to compromise your safety/comfort/convenience for the want of a few dollars.

And so the analysis will go through every damn bit of kit imagininable. It's the prudent seaman's obligation to seek the best information that's out there. And in the end, inevitably, choices get made and there are compromises. And you end up sending your wife to the dock in a dingy with an underpowered outboard loaded with the empty waterjugs because you chose to go for radar over a watermaker knowing that there is no such thing as a watermaker, but only a watermaker in the context of an entire electrical system including the increments to the battery bank, the altenator, the solar panels, and charge controllers. All thanks to the great advice you got on the internet. And you must live with the guilt. Though your wife looks to be in great shape.

And so it is that the only people who will be left cruising in a few years are the stinking rich and the ignorant. And I guess the few who dare to ask the question and live with the guilt."

So, head gasket.   Anyone with an impassioned plea?  Going once, going twice... :D
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Of the items on the list, I was planning to go to the tractor store for the following:

Injector Nozzle -3   
Glow plug - 3   
Thermostat 160 deg   
Thermostat Gasket   
Fresh water pump
Starter bits

Have any of these been marinized and made incompatible for application in the Universal?

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Nope, the only "marinized" stuff are the heat exchanger and the associated raw water pump for the heat rejection system with the exhaust riser through the muffler.  You could pop the engine out and throw it up on your tractor and get goin' in a hurry anytime.  "Marinized" is such a useless word...

Add coupling bolts to your list, I keep "throwing" mine.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

But Stu, without "marinization" there is no way to get sailors to pay 3 times as much for stuff as farmers do.   Mostly "marinization" means changing all the part numbers so that only the marine dealer will have the exact bits listed in the manual...

You shouldn't be throwing your coupling bolts.   Think about some courses in anger management.  Or relax and have a martini next time you have a bolt in your hand and the urge is building.   Or maybe alignment and stiffer engine mounts?
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

"Engine mounts, engine mounts, I don't need no stinkin' engine mounts!"

I think they're 3/8 inch FINE thread.  I've discussed this before elsewhere.  New coupling bolts are just as easy as new engine mounts for me, because I can FEEL the engine's performance through my feet on deck!   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Dave : From the advice you've received you might want to trade in your dink and just tow another C34!!!!
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

That's a good idea, Ron.   What do you think I should carry for spares in the second boat?
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Mike Denest

Quote from: waterdog on October 23, 2008, 08:35:43 PM
That's a good idea, Ron.   What do you think I should carry for spares in the second boat?

Beer.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

senorquill

Which glow plugs do you recommend. Mine are shot. Thanks

Ryan
MQ

rmbrown

I'm going to start searching for waterdog posts to read... who cares about the actual topic... man, you are funny!   Oh, and I had nearly the same lost day due to my fuel pump last June.  :)
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

ewengstrom

You can still get the NGK glow plugs that were OEM on our Universal Diesels. I just bought all three recently and installed them yesterday, the price was pretty reasonable.
Unfortunately I don't have that particular model number handy but it isn't too hard to find.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Ryan : What is your hull # and which engine do you have???

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

senorquill

MQ

senorquill

MQ