Engine Spares for a Long Cruise

Previous topic - Next topic

arthur

Waterdog,

You know more about your boat than I do about my six speed fold-up bike.

My opinion was meant to be a little silly; however, I would do something closer to what I suggested than haul all the parts that have been suggested you should have on board.   What if you made a list of all the parts and phone numbers of where to order the parts from and just take said list along with you.   UPS delivers all over the world and most likely in Mexico too.   Hanging out at a new marina waiting for a part could be good therapy for you and your family. 

P.S.  Stu - Waterdog sounds like the tech person Mainsheet is looking for Catalina 34's.    :D

waterdog

Quote from: arthur on October 16, 2008, 04:56:14 PM

P.S.  Stu - Waterdog sounds like the tech person Mainsheet is looking for Catalina 34's.    :D

Arthur,

If we burn half the c34 fleet to the waterline following my technical advice, it won't necessarily increase the value of your boat...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

FWIW, we keep a spreadsheet inventory of everything we've ever purchased for the boat, including the parts #s.

Doesn't everyone? :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

arthur

Waterdog,

There you go.  Stu has all the part numbers you need, I bet.  And, where he bought them.  Ole!

P.S.   I believe you could maybe say half the fleet of 34's with your knowledge.

waterdog

Ah yes, lest we forget.  My final list:

Oil  8L    
Oil Filters   4
Hose - various    
Primary Fuel Filter - 6
Secondary Fuel Filter - 2   
Belts - 3    
Injector Nozzle -3    
Glow plug - 3   
Fuel Lift Pump   
Impellers   - 2
Pencil Zinc - 2   
Raw Water Pump   
Heat Exchanger Gasket 3"   
Thermostat 160 deg   
Thermostat Gasket   

I haven't disregarded your other excellent recommendations - it's just that most of them have ended up on other lists - not my engine spares and supplies list.   There are a few I left out - head gasket, fresh water pump, oil pump.  Still noodling on starter bits - need to talk to the tractor store...   

Ooops.  Edit.  Forgot the alternator and regulator.  There's a new one that's part of another list "Electrical Upgrades".  The old one will become spare...
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Craig Illman

Steve - Not a fresh water pump too?

Craig

ps As suggested earlier, change the injectors and glow plugs, save the old ones as spares.

Stu Jackson

Good list and quantities.  I'd suggest more zincs and impellers - they're small, take up less space for "extras" and are hard to come by "out there" for our specific engines and pumps.  List looks good for a year or two of cruising.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roger Blake

Where the heck is the beer, wine, and spirits for the human engine?...jeez folks...priorities...oh, I forgot, safety too...
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Ron Hill

Steve : With all of the suggestions, you also need the knowledge of having the correct tools to replace those items! 
A good example are your injectors!!  They use a couple of sockets and metrics that I didn't normally have on board!!  So read the old Tech note articles and make sure that you have the correct tools to do the job or the spare part may be of little value !!!  A thought.   
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Quote from: Craig Illman on October 21, 2008, 03:16:52 PM
Steve - Not a fresh water pump too?

Craig

ps As suggested earlier, change the injectors and glow plugs, save the old ones as spares.

I think I will change those injectors and glow plugs.  Passes the test Ron suggests too.   But I have a mental block on the fresh water pump.   I have this strong feeling it will never fail.   It's not rational.   Will it fail, Craig?
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Quote from: Roger Blake on October 21, 2008, 06:05:08 PM
Where the heck is the beer, wine, and spirits for the human engine?...jeez folks...priorities...oh, I forgot, safety too...

Keep your eye on the projects pages.   I'll be highlighting my gravity feed rum tank with deck fill that pulls out as a floatation pod with my ditch bag.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Craig Illman

John Sheehan

Steve,

I would second the thoughts on the fresh water pump.  Ours had a seal go out with only 365 hours on the engine and it took three weeks to get a replacement.  Now I carry a new pump and gasket on board along with a new raw water pump. 

John
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ken Juul

Very unscientific but in my experience most car water pumps seem to fail at about 70,000 miles.  Using an average speed of 50mph thats about 1400 hours.  I'd definitely take a spare, if it goes the motor doesn't run for long.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

karista

My Fresh Water Pump seized up while 30 miles offshore on the gulf, there was no previous sympton to suggest that there was a problem with the pump. It simply seized up when I tried to start the engine. Once it seized up, the engine could not be started.
I now always carry a raw water and fresh water pump. If either one fails you are dead in the water!
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL