Lewmar folding wheel

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

A search suggests that a couple of owners at least have replaced their Edson 40" wheel with the comparable Lewmar folding wheel. Any thoughts from anyone who has made the switch? Does it make it possible to walk by the wheel without climbing up on the seat? Does the Ray Marine autopilot fit ok? Any problem fitting the wheel to the Edson pedestal?

Christmas is coming so I would appreciate any advice.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Mark Wey

John, I have one on my c-36. It is great. As I have the built in cockpit table. The folding wheel is even better, as the space back toward the wheel is a little narrow between the table and the cockpit seat. I don't think it could effect the autopilot. When you order it make sure you get the right hub style. Mine was a straight keyed shaft. Twice the dealer sent the wrong one. A tapered keyed shaft. If I had to say anything against the wheel. It appeared a little flimsy at first as compared to the rigid wheel. That feeling quickly dissappeared with use. Go for it!

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Phil Spicer

My wife got me the Lewmar folding wheel for fathers day 2 years ago. We like the wheel, she thinks it is really cool. It clears the area when at the dock or at anchor. A big plus for moving around. No different when sailing. Just took it off Monday to pack it up for the winter. I don't leave it on after I pull the boat. Don't want to have it stolen over the winter.
Nice addition, now I'm taking my wife to the Annapolis boat show .............trolling for more goodies!
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

John Langford

Thanks Folks. Mark, just to be clear, we want the straight keyed shaft?

I saw some reference to an adaptor kit for the Edson connection. Does that ring any bells? The folks at West Marine don't seem to know much about this.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Phil Spicer

My boat took the adaptor, (1988 #789). The wheel is built for a tapered shaft. The adaptor bolts on with metric socket head cap screws. You will need an allen wrench for this job, but I don't remember the size. Take care when you remove the wheel so you don't mark the nut with your wrench. Wrap the nut with leather (old belt) or heavy fabric. Enjoy your wheel.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Stu Jackson

If it was my boat, I would carefully remove my wheel, check what's there and compare it to the Edson Marine catalog (www.edsonmarine.com) to make sure I ordered the right one.  If necessary, I'd call Edson.  My shaft is not tapered.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Clay

The folding wheel came stock on our boat. This is one option I would not do without. It adds convienance moving around in the cockpit, and makes it easier to exit out the back of the boat.

Enjoy your new wheel.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Mark Wey

John, Take your present wheel off and you will know right away. There is an adapter kit yes. But order the right one and you don't have to worry about the kit.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

jfssail

John, I have replaced the wheel on my 1993 C36 with the folding wheel. Only problem I had with my Autohelm 4000 was with the plastic U clamps. Each had to be enlarged with a Dremmel tool and a large diameter, 3/4", 1/8 " thick neoprene fawcet washer added between the U clamps and the Autohelm plate. Without this change, I had problems with the Autohelm coming apart,

Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH
Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH