White Smoke from Engine

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Brener

MY engine was rebuilt 4 years and 300 hours ago and about a year or so thereafter I noticed white to slightly blue/gray smoke.  I see it most  the time and  I  motor at just round 7 kn at 2500 rpm on the gauge and a clean bottom,  top rpm is 2700 and I usually back off from that. Engine sounds fine, a least to me. In light of past posting, does this sound like an injector problem? With the wind off the stern, exhaust odor is noticed at the wheel.  I replace the injectors about a year before the rebuilt and suspect that the shop did not mess with the injectors as they were concentrating  on the main problem.

Any suggestions?
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

Steve S.

Hi guys - I've decided to change the injectors.  While I only have 700 hours, the engine is 21 years old.   I know that's not much, but I suspect that lack of use may be worse than overuse.  I've downloaded what I can from the tech notes CD  (Nov 1999) I got when I joined, but I have a small problem.  I have absolutely no idea what my logon or password is because I have had my computer set up to auto-logon to the site for years.

I have a favor to ask - Ron has some tech notes from Aug 2002 that I can't access.  Does someone have easy access?    Also, there seems to be some disparity on tools.  In Hank Recla's notes from 1999, he used a 1 1/8" deep socket.   In a note I found on the message board, they used a 1 1/16th deep socket.  Has anybody else done this and used a deep socket?

Thanks
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Steve : I don't have it in front of me, but I wrote a follow on article to Hank's (a few yrs later) that I updated the tool size.  You'll need a a deep well socket to take out the injectors and a breaker bar to unseat originals.  Hope this helps. 
Ron, Apache #788

Steve S.

Thanks - not a big deal. I figure I can just stop by Home Depot on my way and pick up whatever is needed.  A breaker bar, eh?  Those babies must be in there tight.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Steve S.

Well, I did it yesterday, installed new injectors.  Haven't gone for a cruise yet to see if the white smoke is lessened. But I can tell right at the dock that it seems to run smoother and have a little more power.   What I can't get rid of is a loud knocking at lower RPM's.   I'm not sure its even the engine but maybe an engine mount, but as I rev the engine, it does seem to come and go in a harmonic fashion. 

Thanks to Hank Recla's 1999 instructions.  They were an enormous help.  The job did seem daunting at firts but it turned out to be easier than expected. My biggest concern was re-bleeding the whole system, but using Ron's 1/4 open trick, I just let the pump run for 5 minutes and it-re-bled itself.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Steve S.

Just wanted to let folks know that I installed new injectors last year and it took care of the issue.  The job was easier than I thought it would be.  Engine runs a smoother now too.  Thanks
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay