battery charger

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick

I have decided to add refrigeration to Destiny #521 and realize that it means I will also need to add a battery charger.
What type charger do you recommend and where is your charger located?
Also how loud is the compressor for the Cold Machine?  I am planning to located it under the V-berth and that is where we sleep.

Thank you for your input
GOOD SAILING

rdavison

The other place the 3 stage charger is commonly mounted is at the back of the hanging locker.

Our cold machine is mounted in the Starboard aft lazerette like Ron's is.  We can hear it cycle at night from the aft cabin where we sleep but it doesn't bother us.

Randy Davison  #1268 1993 k7voe

mike baker

Our compressor is also located on the starboard side of the aft lazerette and hardwired into the 110v outlet found in the aft cabin.  All you hear in the aft cabin is a slight hum.  My old original battery charger is located in the same place.  However, I am going to install a new, 3-stage, charger -- probably under the nav station.

If your icebox is like mine it probably needs additional insulation.  I haven't done this yet, but I need to.  There are references to adding insulation in the Tech Notes & elsewhere, but I haven't completely figured out how to do it yet

Mike Baker #815 "Gray Hawk"

jentine

I would give a great deal of thought to your recharging system.  How much time do you plan to spend on the hook?  How often will the refrigeration be used.  Is it just for weekends or will you run it constantly.  How much of your lazarette do you wish to lose to the refrigeration.  
Last year when I installed refrigeration in Jentine, I spoke at great length with the people at Adler-Barber and the gist of the converstation was that the unit should be installed where is can best get air circulation around the unit.  I installed the unit under the sink to the starboard of the water heater.  It is an air cooled unit.  Cooling has never been a problem even in warm water.  
I installed solar panels to keep the batteries charged.  They have proved to be sufficient in winter and summer.  They give us freedom from the dock.  Jim Kane

jmnpe

While several respondants have correctly recommended a 3 stage battery charger, the "what kind" part of the questions wasn't addressed.

The only stand alone 3 stage battery charger I can currently recommend without any meaningful reservation is the Statpower Truecharge 20+ or 40+. I also highly recommend adding the optional remote battery temperature sensor for $30 or so, particularly if you are in warmer climates and/or you leave it ON all the time while at the dock.

John

hdevera

I am quite suprised that no one has recommended placing the battery charger under the trash bin.  I have a MKII and my trash bin is just to port of the sink.  The charger is located under the trash bin and this space would otherwise not be used.  It is close to the batteries and very conveniently located.

shekinahsailor

On the same subject, but with a totally different twist - I'vet been the rounds with my refrigeration including new battery charger, new batteries, etc and pretty much have the situation under control.  BUT, never content to leave well enough alone, I had an old Koolatron thermoelectric cooler in my garage that I
inherited when I bought a Catalina 27 about six years ago.  These thermoelectric coolers "slowly" bring the temperature down 40 to 44 degrees
below ambient at 3 amp draw. I took the cooler down to the boat and strapped it in a vertical position under my navigation table.  Utilizing the
AC adapter I plugged in, loaded the unit with my favorite boating beverage and returned the next day.  Liquid was ice cold!  We unplugged from AC,
plugged into DC and took off for the weekend.  Inside temp stayed near freezing plus we enjoyed the front door access.  For short outings and full time dock refrigeration, this seems to meet our needs plus it frees up our top-loading refrigerator for dry goods storage. Longer journeys and we'll still use the AB refrigerator as intended.  The negative is that the fan motor is a little noisy - maybe just old. We turn the unit off at night but it's well insulated and this does not seem to be a problem.  Both Koolatron and Coleman advertise newer, "quiet" units, 40-quart capacity with the same amp draw for less than $150.  Another possible negative is the
40-44 deg. Temperature drop may not be adequate in warm climates (I live in the Northwest so little problem).  ..Just another idea.