Refrigeration - stopped cooling

Previous topic - Next topic

arthur

My refrigerator stopped cooling.

I had two different refrigeration representatives tell me that my evaporator had a leak and that the evaporator and compressor/condensor needed to be replaced.  The low bid was $1,467.00.

My friend, a Catalina 34 MKI owner and an airline mechanic with past experience in refrigation, suggested we try a leak stop.  What did I have to loose, nothing.  We did and it didn't work - the first time.  But the second shot of leak stop with another can of 134a coolant and my frig has been working for over a week.  The 134a coolant cost only $5.00 and the leak stop cost about $7.50.  If anyone is having simular problems, I suggest trying leak stop before spending big $'s on a new unit.  If it stops cooling again, I'll buy some more coolant and leak stop.  (Note:  We had to make an adaptor to fit the valve stem fitting on compressor, but I've now learned Napa Auto sells the adaptor to fit the compressor on our boats.)

Stu Jackson

Good input, thanks.  Just a reminder:  older units with R22 refrigerant can't use the newer HFC134a refrigerant.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Sundance

What type of stop leak did you use?  I looked into something similar, but read that this could create problems and totally freeze up the compressor, so the key is "you had nothing to lose". 
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

arthur

I don't know the brand; however, I bought it at a Napa Auto store.  What I bought comes in a small red can and cost about $7.50 I think.   One can also buy a can that has leak stop/lubricant/leak finder and coolant.  That is what I used first, but it didn't stop my leak.   One must be sure one has 134a coolant in their refrigeration unit.  There will be a tag on your unit to tell you what you have; that is, 134a or something else.

I didn't have anything to loose because if it didn't work I was looking at a $1,467 replacement cost.  The refrigeration guy that gave me the bid said he would only do the job if I replace my evaporator along with the compressor/condensor.  He said if the leak had allowed any air into the compressor, it could ruin the compressor.  I was told this by my friend too, that any air in the compressor is bad for the compressor.  Therefore, one should purge the air out of the adapator tube that goes from can of leak stop and/or coolant to your compressor before charging your unit.   

prh77

If all the freon has leaked out of the system,you should pull a vacuum of at least 28" before servicing system. This will purge out air and moisture.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"