questus 100 self leveling radar mount

Previous topic - Next topic

sailingdolphin

Has anyone ever installed a self leveling questus or other on a split backstay Mark I?
My split isn't high enough for the pole.  Wondering how its done?

Do you have any pictures?
Doug and Donna #171

Ken Juul

No pictures, but from what I seem to remember the optimum height for the radar is 16-20' off the water.  At that height it should be above the split and on the single backstay.  If not a bit higher won't hurt the performance that much.  Haven't had the opportunity/need to play with my radar while sailing, does the self leveling mount really make that big a difference in the picture quality?  At $1700 it costs more than most 2kw radars units.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Craig Illman

Another supplier: www.radaronthelevel.com  They were trying to sell their patent on eBay awhile back, so I don't know if they're still supplying these.

Craig

sailingdolphin

what does everyone think of just a straight pole as far as performance?
Doug and Donna #171

Meerkata

I have an 8 ft ss pole from Garhaur, includes davit for motor lifting, etc. Mounts on the transom, and comes with one rail anchor/fitting.
Anchoring is quite sufficient for the radar, but is a bit weak for the davit; could use one more diagonal support to the rail.
If I was buying again, I would get the ten-foot version pole, as radar should be higher to protect people on the front deck from radar emmissions.
Note that radar is quite good with modern electronics, and I doubt whether a self-leveling device would add to the effectiveness. Maybe it would work better in really rough seas.
Incidentally, I have an a mast-mount bracket available if you want to look at alternatives.