Garhauer EZ-Glide Car System - Recessed Track - How to Mount Car?

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt

Hello everyone,

Just purchased the EZ Glide system.  My '88 has the standard, recessed track set up.   How does one actually mount the car on the track?  I have tried to do so and have failed several times but have gotten good at repacking the bearings.   Specifically, I am unable to fit the larger car with the fairlead/bearings onto the track.  I am forced to tilt it a bit as it extends from the track but past the recessed point and that angle prevents the mount.    Must I remove the track, slide the car on, and then reseal/bolt down to make this work?   

Thanks for any advice/comments here.

Kurt

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kurt

Thanks Stu - good idea:-) 

On that note:

According to Ted -- "There's not enough space and you'll have to remove the last three bolts and raise the back of the track. " Which I may do.

I also called Garhauer this morning and Mark would like the cars back and he will shorten them to 5 & 1/2".  He claims that going to two-piece cars are not his recommended approach any longer.  I will need to measure if this will give me sufficient clearance and then pick one of these possible solutions.

Kurt

kurt

Ok - just got the "custom made" shorter cars from Garhauer which installed great in the recessed tracks.  I had to hacksaw a bit of the extra track it came with to be able to set the car in the recess mount it but that wasn't a big deal.  I ended up using about 35 feet of rope on each side although I rigged the car for full front to about 70% of full back travel. 

Kurt

mnewber

I guess i'm the only one that used the set that they originally sent me.  I finally finished installing mine on the port side last weekend after having the starboard one on for about 3 months.  I removed the nuts from 3 of the screws and loosened up two more, just enough to pry up the end and slide it on the track.  I had quite a timme and became quite the contorsionist to get into the locker and perform the work on the port side.  That's what really took me soo long; I had to strech for the three months!   :shock:

I ordered the line online which is on its way and I should finally be finished with this project this weekend! 

If this works anything like the upgraded traveler system and rigid boom vang I'll be in heaven!!! 

crieders

you don't need to touch the track which is a mess no matter what anyone says. Garhauer made a two piece car for me which comes apart to install on the recessed track and hooks back together after inserting; easy as can be.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : If anyone doesn't have the "shorter recessed track cars" it's a simple matter to mount them:
Take off all the old stuff from the recessed track.  If you need a midship cleat - install a Shaffer 8" 1 1/4" track cleat.  Then remove the nuts from the aft 3 cleat screws.  Make a small wedge out of oak and drive it under the aft portion of the track until it's the height of the new car system track.  Just align them and slide the car system on.  Remove the wedges, Re-caulk those 3 screws and tighten them down. 
Easy as that!!!
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

Also Garhauer will seperate the cars into two and each can be slid on seperately.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Clay Greene

FYI, with the benefit of this discussion, I called Garhauer and spoke to Guido in their technical department.  He said they will bevel the corners of the cars to mount on the recessed track.  Thanks to all who contributed on this topic - you just saved me at least a couple of hours of work and frustration. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Hawk

Claygr,
What year is your boat?
And what is Guido giving you specifically? Is it shorter recessed track cars or the two peice car?
Anyone with a recomendation for my 1990. In other words what do tell Guido I need.
I hadn't realized there was an install issue...glad I caught this.
Thanks.
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hawk on February 23, 2009, 08:22:20 PMIn other words what do tell Guido I need.

YOU explain to Guido, Bill or Mark what YOU have on YOUR boat.  They understand that stuff, very well.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

Our boat is 1989 so we have the recessed track.  Guido said that they will bevel the corners of the cars so that they will slide on the track without having to raise the track.  As Stu said, they seem to know our boat very well. 

Hawk

Guido just told me that he could make up the shorter cars for the recessed track and bevel the cars. Says I'd be covered for sure. I'm not sure it needs both but I suppose there's no down side.
He did say that the large car is about 8 inches but for our 34s the shorter cars ought to be plenty strong enough.
But they take the fiddle block off and put a double block on the shorter car. Down side is the double block has a higher profile than the fiddle according to Guido, but same purchase.
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Clay Greene

Related to this topic, anyone know how much line I need and what diameter for the E-Z glide system?