screen doors

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

am in the process of building doors for my 1988 34 hull 613, these doors will have removable plexiglass inserts and screened.  Can't find anything on the projects page, but I have seen similar doors on other boats, has anyone built a door like this?  If I can't find anything I will build it and contribute to the projects   Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Rick Johnson

Bob,

I have not started this project myself but I've been collecting pictures of what others have done.  Most are from yachtworld ads.  I only have 2 samples on this PC but if these help, I can post some more samples tomorrow.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Momentum M

Hi guys...here's what I got from zarcor.com....I have no merits short of spending the money (800$ or so) but I have the screen inserts, the clear plexi and the smoked ones.  I also added the lock. 
I'm showing them just to give alternate system.
By the way, we love them.  During the day, when sailling, we remove them since they're hinged on a pin so to remove them, all you do is pull upward.  We've also sailled with them in place and they don't move.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Jack Hutteball

Serge, do they fit in your built in storage beside the companionway like the hatch boards do when they are removed?

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Momentum M

Sorry Jack..I just returned from the boat.  To answer your question...NO they don't fit in the rack.  But I don't really mind 'cause I still use the panels some times.  In general, we removed the doors during the day when they're not needed and lay them down on the V berth mattress.  You put them on (and remove) in a jiffy.  Unless it's cold out (during the day) we'd put them on and at night to prevent these little bugs to come in.  No more fighting with the Bugs net.  We found them very pratical.

I haven't worked out yet how to get the lock to work.  The lock's tongue come in line with the wood handle of the sliding cover.  Probably would need to be removed and cut to fit...so I'm not ready to do that!!!  When we leave the boat I install the original wood panels.

Here's a few more pictures that I took during the w-e.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

Guys...just to bring to your attention:
Pic no 3, 4 and 5 are to show the hinges on the stainless bars, I willingly lifted the door so you can see how they're mounted and the last one to show the wood panel in place not interfering with the original system.

S
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Rick Johnson

I have always liked this cabin door design and will try this sometime this winter...

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Clay Greene

1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Momentum M

I just tough that some of you might be interested in the pouch that I had made for the extra panels.
I've got a total of 6 panels (2 screens, 2 white acrylic, 2 smoked acrylic), 2 are in the door frames so for the storage of the remaining panels, I've got this bags with 3 separations (with the outside covers it gives me 4 slots) to protect each others from scratchins.  It was made with some left over sunbrella and it's got a Velcro tape for top closure.
On the boat, I store them between the starboard side door (to the engine) and the edge of the aft mattress.
It out of the way and they are protected.
The cost was 50$ so I'm very please with this upgrade.
Here's a few picture of the pouch.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

OS2Dude

I built a set of doors for my previous boat, an O'Day 23.  They had lift off half hinges.  The one thing I don't like about most doors is the hinges are screwed into the teak trim such that anyone with a screw driver can remove them.  On the 23 I mortised the side sills and epoxied the hinges in.  (Make sure you align them though!)  I did the same to the doors.  The solid inner panel was removable, but I never did make the screen or lexan panels for it. 

The doors were lap jointed in the corners.  The top was two thin boards that left a slot in between for the panels to slide in and out.  Before assembly the inside edges were rabited (? A slot cut the length) to accept the panels and hold them in place.  I lined the slots with aluminum U channel.  Along the bottom outside edge I drilled a few weep holes so rain and such would not build up and overflow the inside edge. 

For our current boat, a Catalina 30, I'm thinking of using the bottom hatch board and building the doors to fit on top.  (Similar to the post with the picture of the 3 part door.)  Two screw inserts in the hatch board slot on each side will hold the frame with the hinges.  That way if needed I can remove the door and frame and return to the hatch boards if required.  I'm also toying with getting a pair of solid brass door hinge from the Big Box store and cutting them in half.  Glueing/brazing the pin in place in the bottom hinge pieces should make a usable half hinge for about $10, instead of the $50/side ($100 total) for the heavy chromed half hinges.