Hurricane Season

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

no kidding, Fay, Gustov, Hanna and now Ike is looking at us. this has been and is continuing to be quite a season for us here in SW Florida. Seems there is only one channel on TV. (weather channel) and it is on all the time. Not that we have been hit a lot but Fay was pretty stormey and left a lot of water. (a lot). We are getting 100, 000,000 gallons of water a day flowiong into our Bay in Naples. It is choaked from the tons of weed islands floating in from the canals from the Everglases area. Then Gustov gave us a 3 foot surge and I had water way over my sea wall and in the backyard. These are misses. Anyway, most of the year this is paradise and we love watching the blizzards storm through the mid western states in the winter but this time of year we have very HOT, Humid and turbid weather. Everywhere has its problems I guess but this one has caused our boat and home insurance rates to be double what most of the states up North are paying. Anyway, just a rant.

Bill Asbury

Sorry about that, Terry, but Naples is a lovely spot.  I'm a Florida Southern grad and hung out on Longboat Key during school years in the 50s when Naples was a sleepy village.  Liked it better then before all the development, particularly the past decade or so.  Still enjoy visiting Old Naples from time to time.  We all have weather problems and we just have to tough it out and look forward to the good times.
The US Sailboat Show happens in early Oct in Annapolis so y'all come on up and enjoy the show!  C34IA Fleet 12 will be having a group dinner during the show as usual I'm sure.
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Susan Ray

wow you sure have reason to rant.... Living right on ocean front property is such a pain when the water comes over your seawall....AND insurance!!!going up like that...(only wish I could get insurance that would cover a Hurricane) ....and talk about hot and humid..the tropics just act that way all year round!! Good luck and keep those toes dry....
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii