Winter cover

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

In projects Ron Hill (6/11/05) has pictures of his summer and winter covers.  He indicated that this was covered someplace in the projects section.  However, I can't find it.  I am researching winter covers.  Can anybody point me in the right direction.  The thought of paying 3 or 4 thousand bucks for a winter cover sends a chill up my spine.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Stu Jackson

Mark, I used the Knowledgebase (here: http://www.c34.org/tech-notes-index/technotes-excel.xls)

and searched for "winter cover" which found this:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-boat-covers.html

Let us know if this is what you were looking for, or something else.  As far as I can see, that's what's there and perhpas Ron never did get around to the "followup" article. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Momentum M

I Mark... here's a few pictures of my cover.  I've bought it at the same time as my boat so it's 4yrs old.  It's quite easy to install and does protect the boat entirely...down below the water line.
I've paid around 2500$ (2005) and it's still in perfect shape.  It's in 2 pieces so to install it, after the webbing is done, you put the front half again the mast (if you leave it up) and unroll it to the bow. Repeat with the 2nd half..again from the mast to the stern.  There's an access door..mine in the rear 'cause of my open transom, or you can order it somewhere else.  It also has some breathing pockets (performance...so-so).  If you keep your mast down, they don't provide all the zippered/Velcro opening for all you stays but i do recommend that you get them so if you ever decide to leave the mast up...well it still fits. Depending of how good of a job you might do with all the opening, you might see a few flakes/water on the deck but nothing to write home about it and as soon as the climate warms up, it's gone.

You mentioned that you don't want to spend 3/4 G's but no matter what route you take, you'll have to spend some.  Remember that the entire cover is approx 38' long X 30' wide so shop around and you'll see that a piece of canvas of this size will cost you.  Add to that some limber or others and the price will go up and after all might end up with a not so practical system.  This system goes up in about 2hrs.

I've bought mine from Top shop...and they sell in the US and Canada.  See the add in the mainsheet or www.topshop.on.ca

Hope this help and good luck

Serge
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

Hi again...wanted to add some interior pictures
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

horsemel

Stu and Serge,
Thanks for the responses.  Stu, the link you referred me to was what I also found.  Serge, I appreciate the photos.  It appears that you have found a good cover and I will check with your source.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

tommyt

I also swear by the TopShop cover. Stands the test of time (5 years so far with no signs of wear), fits properly, and keeps the topsides covered as well. I install it alone most of the time and once you do the logistics it is really quite easy. You can do it cheaper, not sure you can do much better and save a lot of $$$ unless you are really motivated and talanted. The two piece cover that zips together, and the zipper at the stern to give entry, are great.

I live at the 45th Parallel in Michigan, so winters are a little tougher than in Ohio. If we get a really heavy wet snow I push it off the cover. Normal snow, 6-8" of fluff, just blows off.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Ed Shankle

I've recently started checking out covers, as my customized silver tarp, which gave me 6 seasons, needs to be replaced this winter. Got sticker shock from the canvas solutions; one of which is Top Shop. Their quote, with the needed extras came in about $3400, I think (I haven't got it with me). Fairclough was about the same.
I was expecting in the $2000 - $2500 range, so over $3000 was a surprise. I'm thinking I may go back to customizing another silver tarp!

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

RV61

Bluemoon,
Did you check out Griener covers. It is a full cover to the waterline. They are out of a sail loft in Toledo. They also have a put on, take off and store program. Many of us Herl's use them . I think it I paid around $2500 including frame. Cover is 5 years old and still in great shape. When I did the math vs shrink film the payback was around 6 yeasrs and i believe the breathable canvass is the way to go. You do want to cover it to keep the Ice and snow off those decks and keep the sun off the topsides. When I am at the boat next I will get the number.

Rick from Interlude
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

tonywright

Ed, My Top shop cover was CDN $2,500, taxes included, in 2006. This is for the synthetic material, which is substantially lighter and easier to handle than canvas.  This included the frames. This was FOB Kingston, Ontario.

I have attached a couple of photos "under the cover" as well as one showing our boat yard in March, 2008. The two boats seen on the left are also using top shop covers.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

pjcomeau

I went last winter with a temporary cover and ended up with a big mess of ice... Come spring I contacted TopShop and got a good price (paid half in late spring) and the cover will be here next week (weeks before I need it). I also went for the newer polyester style.

-PC
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Chris Martinson

I have also been very pleased with my top shop cover (4 years and no problems).....not sure if this a trend but several yards in CT where I keep my boat for the winter are now requiring custom fitted tarps with frames....no more blue tarps etc.  Not sure how far they are carrying the custom... FYI

Chris
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Mike

2yrs ago I made a two piece, to H20 line, winter cover of Odessey III (Ron's suggestion) and a PVC frame all for $400.  Looks very similar to Momentum's.  Took and couple of months of evenings to sew and one day for the frame construction.
MIKE : Previous '93 Cat 34 Tall rig

tonywright

The frames that you see in my pictures and Momemtum M's are made of aluminum, with galvanized steel connectors and rubber feet.

After years of using this kind of frame on an earlier boat I found that some of the strong winter storms could really push the frame around, and push the individual legs sideways, causing sags in parts of the cover that can cause snow and ice to accumulate with potentially damaging results. (You really don't want a few hundred pounds of snow and ice hanging on a tarp between a life-line and the ridge pole!).

After watching others, and consulting with Top Shop, I now do the following:

1) Brace all of the feet of the frames along the decking by strapping them to 2x1 wood framing: this keeps them in place relative to one another. (I had to invent a replacement for the slotted rail that my previous boat had, which made this easier!)
2) Use pvc piping and u-bolts to brace all of the "shoulders" of the frames together along each side. This makes the frames a much stronger single unit.
3) Drape cotton sheeting along each side of the boat to protect the gelcoat from any rubbing caused by the canvas. If you look carefully at my pictures you will see all of these measures deployed.

I admire Mike for building an entire frame like that from PVC. I think that I would have a hard time designing something in pvc that would be as simple, strong and easy to assemble and take apart as the top shop system! 

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

crieders

got mine at the convas shop in Hungington NY. About 1400 4 or 5  years ago. come just over the rub rail and has No frame. Its in 3 pieces and not too difficult to install altho a lot easier with two people. Its in good condition and they have fixed small items for free
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

WTunnessen

Does anyone have any experience with Fairclough boom tent covers?

They gave me a quote of about $1850.

Their site is www.fairclough.com

Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD