Mast Boot Cover

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan.SVCarina

Stu, a while back you responded to a post on Sailboatowners.com about your mast boot and mentioned you have a Sunbrella cover to go over the "ugly duckling".  Do you by chance have a picture of the cover you would be willing to post?

Here's a picture of our mast boot
Flexible plastic with two big hose clamps and a slit at the aft end.

PS we cover this ugly duckling with a sunbrella cover...

Thanks,
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Ron Hill

Allen : Back in the Mainsheet May 1992 I wrote up (with a diagram) how to make a Sunbrella cover for your mast boot and why you should consider making one for your C34. 
Actually my boot(under the cover) still looks quite nice and still looks new today.  Not at all the ugly duckling!!
Look in that May 92 tech notes and you'll see what I made that's still in use 16+ years later!!!   
Ron, Apache #788

Allan.SVCarina

Ron, unfortunatley, I can't access.  While I am a dues paying member of C36IA, I am not of C34IA (can't get past the log in).  Though I do very much appreciate your help.
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Stu Jackson

1. Try http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3548.0.html (from a search on "mast boot") recognizing that you're looking for the Sunbrella cover, not necessarily the plastic boot itself.

2.  Here's a picture of ours.  Two pull strings, top and bottom.  Written up ages ago in Mainsheet, try the Knowledgebase.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Allan.SVCarina

Thanks Stu, this is a big help and gives a place to start.  It looks pretty straightforward and functional. 
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)