Kiwi Prop replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I wanted to report very fine customer service on the part of Kiwi Props in New Zealand.

Without warning one day in late June my 2 1/2 year old Kiwi feathering prop refused to go into reverse. In fact, when you put the boat into reverse the engine stopped immediately. The boat had just been hauled and the prop greased and painted. A local diver confirmed that there was nothing hanging on it and the prop and blades were moving freely. There was also nothing wrong with the transmission.

When I reported the symptoms by e-mail to John Blundell at Kiwi Props, he immediately replied that there had been an internal bearing binding problem with a couple of dozen props in the range of my serial number (#6081) and he offered to replace the prop at no cost. A week later I had a new prop by courier which was easily fitted and works perfectly. I sent the original back to New Zealand by surface mail.

I consider this to be service above and beyond. Since a fair number of 34 owners have bought Kiwi props I thought this story might be of interest.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Steve Sayian

John,

I second your positive customer service attitude with Kiwi.
I bought the prop in the spring of '07 and have been experiencing engine smoking and loss of RPMs with the prop.

After calibrating the tach and doing some speed tests as requested by Norman at West-by-North (where I bought the prop), it was determined that the size I bought (16 inch) was too big and they are sending me 15 inch blades in a week.  Their specs for the C-34 shows a 16 inch diameter is correct due to the blade design and characteristics, but in fact, for my situation it doesn't work.

Nice to know that there are still companies that believe and practice old fashion customer service!

Steve

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Craig Illman

I'm planning on installing a Kiwi in a few weeks at my impending haulout. For those of you that have this prop, what are you doing for anti-fouling? I see they recommend PropSpeed mentioned in a related question by Ken Juul.

Craig

Steve Sayian

Craig,

I use Micron Extra on the blades and hub of the prop.  Being the abative paint, by the end of the season it's pretty much gone and there is no growth on it.  The water temp here in the Boston area is about 70-75 degrees so we don't get rapid growth.  Hope this helps.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Craig Illman