Prop Fouling

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I've seen the ads and articles about "Prop Speed"  an antifouling paint like compound for props and shafts, but until today had not heard any owners reports.  The stuff is expensive so I didn't want to be the guinea pig.  A report on another site indicates that sport fishing operator in Fl used it on his fleet and hasn't had a barnacle in over 3 years!

Might have to give the stuff a try the next time I pull for a bottom job.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

If it's the two part stuff I've seen at boat shows, yes it is expensive.  However, if you add up the cans of gray barnicle paint, and the cost of a haul out mid year (or the trouble of diving and cleaning the prop), I'm considering it might be worth it.  I too would like to know if anyone has used it.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

karista

I tried checking this paint out earlier this year when I hauled the boat for a new bottom job. Could not find anything concrete relative to its performance. The yard also heard of it but said it made no sense to pay $330 for 1/2 Qt of paint and $50 for 1/2 qt of prep, for a total of $380 for a product that makes big claims but has no credible test results. Heck, for that price I can hire a diver to come every  other month for 2 years and clean my entire bottom and running gear.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Ray & Sandy Erps

I generally try to get three years out of my bottom paint up here in the PNW.  During one haulout, a fellow at the boat yard recommended coating the prop with parafin (wax).  I melted it on using a propane torch.  The propeller stayed very clean for half a year or so, but it eventually started to foul again. 

I've pretty much accepted the fact that the propeller is going to require cleaning twice a year or so when I dive on it to check zincs and stuff like that.  I'm in the water anyway, and it really doesn't take that long to scrape the barnacles off.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA