Refrigerator cover hinge

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

The admiral keeps asking me to put a hinge or other contraption on the refrig cover to ease opening it while supporting the cover when it is off.  I seem to recall projects addressing this subject but have been unable to locate anything.  Anyone with ideas or know where to access old threads as searches turned up nothing.

Thanks...
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Stu Jackson

David,

Try this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2742.0.html

Do a search on the word "hinge" and find some more, they're there, but I think this one's the best.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jack Hutteball

David, on my 2001 I hinged it the other way from the forward end and put a latch under the upper cabinet to hold it in the open position.  Works great for us.  Can get some pictures tomorrow and send them if you need them.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

David Arnold

Jack,
If pics are not too much trouble that would be great!

Thanks...
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Jack Hutteball

David, here are some pictures, hope I can figure how to attach them.
Jack

Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jack Hutteball

David, as a follow up, there is a simple slide bolt attached under the cabinet. When closed it slides back under the cabinet, when open it catches the lip of the refer top holding it up high.  This works better for us as it seemed harder to get a latch to work when it folded up against the cabinets.  Also it keep the cabinets and shelves below mostly free when open.  The hinges of course slide apart if you desire to take the top clear off.  There is room to leave a bottle of wine or two between the top and the cabinet backsplash when the lid is open (what kind of a sailor keeps wine aboard!! :D)
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

tommyt

This is a case of measure twice, or three times, before the work. On 1679, the only angle that worked was inward, which really did us no good.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Jack Hutteball

It is interesting that all C34's are really Not the same! :shock:

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Braxton

No kidding.   That galley looks nothing like ours.

Our lid hinges on its starboard edge and has a catch latch attached to the shelf that holds it up.   This works very well for us.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

David Arnold

Jack,
Thanks for the pics.  I like your arrangement now I just need to see if I can do the same on a 2005 model.  As was pointed out, modifications in design from year to year has changed configurations slightly.  What you did would make the admiral a very happy camper!
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Tom Clay

Nice pictures Jack,

We had to mount our hinges in the back (starboard side) the top would not clear the cabinets. First mod I did on Somewhere, made the Admiral very happy.

Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Jack Hutteball

Tom,

Not only did you get a bigger access door under your head sink it seems you also got deeper cabinets over the counter.  Catalina keeps improoving.  :clap

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington