Sink drain

Previous topic - Next topic

Fou Du Large

Hello!

My wife is becoming crasy about the sink drain of the boat....

I saw the modification to 1 1/2" drain.

Is it realy better?

I'm thinking to install a drain pump...

Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Stu Jackson

We just installed a galley sink drain pump but it was ONLY because we couldn't do the "regular" galley sink drain improvement project (in Projects and found through the Knowledgebase, and also through the search engine on the main website, http://www.c34.org/c34-search.html, too - type in "galley sink drain" with the quotation marks to find it as a phrase).  That's because our PO had installed a microwave where the drawer under the sink used to be, and so rerouted the sink drain up, around and down again, to a foot pump.  We'd been using the foot pump for nine year and got tired of foot pumping a full sink out over and over after doing the dishes after dinner.

The model of the pump is also shown.  We installed a toggle switch just forward of the galley.  Just putting a pump in doesn't mean it'll work, because this pump doesn't prime itself.  We still use the foot pump to prime the electric pump.  The PO had switched the foot pump from the fridge/icebox drain to the galley sink drain.

Do the "real" fix-it, if you can.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

DougP

Replacing the drains with standard, cheap plastic drains from Home Depot was one of the best things I've done to the boat. Takes a little creativity to get it all in there, but the drains are great.
Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

Fou Du Large

Thank you for the pictures Mr. Jackson!
:thumb:
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Fou Du Large

Mr. Doug!

Did you upgrade to 1 1/2"

Did you replace the thruhull?
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

kss1220

Been there done the modification as I also have the microwave under the sink.  I have need using a macerator pump for years that I plumbed into the area where the foot pump used to be.  Wow does it drain the sink fast.  Also works great for draining the fridge when the two sink drain stoppers are closed.  This pump needs no priming.

Ron Hill

Martial : I believe that the PVC sink drain pipe in 1 1/4" and it is NOT necessary to change the thru hull.  That thru hull will accept 1" hose from the PVC pipe adapter.  Why pump as Stu set up, when gravety will do your work for you - after you have a 1 1/4" drain!!
Look in the Projects List, it's all spelled out for you!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

If you don't have any obstructions to work around, the larger drain as shown in the projects works much better without needing a pump.  It will occasionally slow, usually caused by too much grease or food bits going down the drain.  It is especially bad if the drain wasn't fully clean before buttoning the boat up for a week with the thru hull closed.  All the crud tends to solidify and form a partial blockage.  The high tech solution we use is a toilet plunger.  With the thru hull open, use the dedicated sink plunger to suck the bad stuff into the sink mixing with the existing water.  It may be necessary to add some fresh water to the sink to dilute the mix.  When it feels like you have a good up flow, pull the plunger out and let it drain.  If it doesn't drain smoothly or slows again, reapply the plunger.  It usually doesn't take more than a couple plunger applications to get a clear drain.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Howdy all,
I was following the thread about upgrading to the 1 1/2" Pipe from Home Depot. I have all the parts. However, the nipple coming out of the through hull is a 90 degree bend. What size nipple should I get to fit into the 1988 through hull?

Thanks!

Lance
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : All of the MK I C34s that I've seen have a straight (NOT 90 deg) nipple off of the thru hull. 
After you connect in each tailpipe from both sinks, continue to starboard.  Then the drain should turn 90 degrees and go straight down to the thru hull. 
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Well, you need to see mine. I'll get a picture today if I can remember it.

Thanks
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ted Pounds

You should be able to easily unscrew the nipple in your thru-hull and take it to a hardware store to get a straight version of the same size.  I'm as surprised as Ron that yours isn't 90 straight.  Is your water heater not under the sink?  I would think it would preclude a 90 degree nipple.   :donno:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Lance : Forget about the picture, as I believe you about your 90 degree adapter.  (Paco strikes again!)
What you need to do is get a straight barbed adapter that will screw on to the thru hull and accept a 1" hose.  Look at my post above.
You want a straight drop of the water from the horizontal pipe connecting of both sink drains.  It's a little tight, but the 1" hose will go between the water heater and the starboard sink wall.  Good Luck. 
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Ron/Ted,
Thanks! I had a case of CRS this weekend and didn't get the picture. How hard is it to unscrew the 90 and get a straight? Have all the other parts though.

Cheers!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : Don't know if that 90 is metal or plastic, but hold the thru hull firmly and the 90 should screw right off.  Put the new one on with pipe dope or Teflon tape on the threads. 
To answer your question, it should turn off easily as the thru hull is Mayrlon (sp?) so you won't have the "two dissimilar metals" corrosion problem. 
Don't forget to turn off the thru hull if you're in the water (smile!!).   :D
Ron, Apache #788