Garhauer Adjustable cars line (or track) length for MKII

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

I've been reading all the positive feedback on the adjustable cars (plus had a set on my old boat), so I decided to buy a pair and just received this week.  As usual with Garhaur, they look to be well made and a good value.

I was hoping to use them this weekend, but unfortunately forgot to measure the inboard track last weekend. 

Was wondering if anyone knows how much line is needed for each set on an MKII or what the inboard track legnth is.  I looked at previous posts and saw something about 60' - but that appeared to be an estimate.  Also, again from previous posts looks like 5/16 is the recommended line size.

Thanks - will save be a couple of trips back and forth to the boat and WM!

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

John Sheehan

John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

foursailing

Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Momentum M

Hi Bill,
If I remember correctly I had purchased some 70' or so with the smallest splice available at one end.  I had to cut off about 10' so 60 ' will do you with a 5/16".

Don' forget that it's a 5 to 1 ratio so 5 times the length of the track..again by memory ..... might be closer to 10-12' so 60' will do you.

Good luck and you'll enjoy

By the way, the lock bolt of the front block is to big to fit in the existing holes of the track.  Mine were turn down on a metal latte so that it's not just the pressure of that bolt "on" the track but also it's inside one of the hole.  That way there's no chance of seeing it slip and, at the same time, scratch the track.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

tonywright

I finally got around to installing mine last weekend. I bought 55' of line for each side, which is still too long by about 10- 15 feet. 

I took a tap and die set to the boat, following Momemtum M's observation on the size of the screw on the end block. I expected to be able to tap the hole in the track to the appropriate size.  For whatever reason, the hole on my track was a perfect fit already, and no need for any mods at all (the opposite of Momentum's experience), and it screws down into the hole with no need for modification. The screw is too long though, and is sitting proud of the car. Probably the right thing to do would be to get a screw the correct length, and use some loctite to keep it in place. Anyone done this?

Of course the wind never got above 5 knots the day I wanted to try it out.

I am still trying to figure out what kind of shock cord to put on between the last 2 cars. Any recommendations out there?

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Tom Soko

Tony,
I've never seen a bungee cord work well with an adjustable genoa car.  Maybe others have, but I haven't.  I'd suggest attaching the free end of the adjusting line to the becket on the aft end of the car.  That way you can have 5:1 purchase to pull the car forward, and 1:1 purchase to pull the car aft.  This setup has worked well for me for the past 10 years or so.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Ted Pounds

Here's how you make the shock cord work:  Attach one end to the front of the track to the cheek blocks there - the ones for the adjusting tackle.  Lead the shock cord through a small block at the aft end of the track.  You can attach that small block to the fixed lead car if you have one that leads from the adjustable car to the winch.  Then lead the cord back to the aft end of the adjustable car.   With the adjustable car all the way aft there should be some tension on the shock cord.  Sorry I don't have any pictures since I sold the boat, but if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.  The set-up works well.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

tonywright

Thanks Ted

That sure sounds like it would work, since you have a lot more shock cord to stretch than just running it between the sliding car and the fixed lead car.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada