fuel tank: clean or replace?

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

The water and algae contamination in my fuel tank needs to be taken care of.  I know this has been discussed before, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with one of the two alternatives below.

I found one outfit (PetroScrub, operated in Seattle by Rob Adler), who would install two inspection ports in the tank (there is only one baffle in my tank), drain it, scrub it clean, dry it, and refill it.  It sounds like they would do a thorough job, they say with proper care and precautions, this cleaning job would be good for another 15 years.  But the estimate is $550.

I called Catalina, and they said a new plastic tank would cost about $120, aluminum probably $100 more.  My tank is aluminum.

Of course, if I got a new tank, I would have to pay for the disposal of the old fuel and tank.  But on the other hand, I don't know whether the old tank is going to spring a leak sometime soon.  My boat is from 1989.

Has anyone done anything like the above?  In particular, I would be interested in hearing details about disposing the old tank and the fuel, how much, where, etc.

Thanks

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

calewis

I cleaned my aluninum tank last year. If I had it to do over, I would have replaced the tank. We completly removed the tank from the boat anyway. Just use most of the fuel out of the tank prior to replacement. Then you do not have much fuel to dispose of. The access through the port side of the aft birth is only a dozen screws or so. Have a second person help you cary the tank off the boat. At least put a rag in the opening where the inlet hose attached so you do not spill.

Dionysus

I replaced mine last year, and all the fuel lines along with it.   Very easy job and well worth the effort.  I sleep better too.

chp

Fulvio

Chris,

I have an additional pickup for the heater on the tank, which would have to be installed on the new one.  Did you have to do any other work on the tank prior to installing it?

Also, how did you dispose of the old tank and fuel?  How much did it cost?

Thanks!

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

kntclark

I've just discovered a pin hole leak in the bottom of my fuel tank (1990).  There was about a 6" diameter corroded area near the front of the tank on the bottom and one pits went all the way through.  I found about a tablespoon of diesel under the cushions in the aft cabin - I guess I'm lucky I caught it so early.  I'm waiting for Catalina to call back about a new tank now.  

Has anybody ever heard of repairing an aluminum tank?  Even if it could be done, I'm afraid it would cost almost as much as a new tank, and still have 12 years worth of gunk in the bottom of it.

Is a plastic tank an option?  What about the merits of plastic vs. aluminum?  Also, what about getting a few more gallons of capacity with a new tank?  What have people found out about replacement options?

Terry Clark
Yet To Be

Fulvio

I've heard that aluminum is better than plastic, long term.  Plastic tends to break down after a while from contact with Diesel, so aluminum is still a better option, despite corrosion.
Also, the location of the fuel tank on the C34 is pretty good:  relatively dry and areated, so corrosion of the tank is less of an issue than on other boats.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Fulvio

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron Hill:
                                                  If you get a plastic tank you can "T" or "Y" a second line off the single one coming out of the tank.  Your engine burns less than 1/2 gal/hr so a 3/8" fuel line should be sufficient for both.

I've cleaned out my tank several times and took the remaining old diesel to a recycle center - for free.  Burn as much of the diesel as you can first.

You'll have to call around about the tank.  I'd try to find someone with a big truck and flatten it, then despose as scrap Al.   APACHE  #788

ronphylhill@erols.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your advice.  Unfortunately, a "T" or "Y" is explicitly warned against for my heater fuel feed line, because of the vast difference in flow velocity between the engine line and the heater line.  The engine would suck all the fuel right out of the heater line, creating a huge air bubble.  The heater burns 1/10th of a gallon per hour.

Thanks for the info about recycling.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

kntclark

I ended up replacing my corroded aluminum tank with a new plastic tank from Catalina.  After removing the old tank and seeing all the gunk in the bottom of it, I'm glad I replaced it.  The new tank fit right in with no problems, and it came with matching fittings and a new fuel gauge sender unit.  Since it is translucent, I can look through the door under the sink in the head to verify the fuel level, too.

Terry Clark
Yet To Be #1095