Fuel tank replacement for 91 C-34

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken "Voyager" #1115

My fuel tank has corroded, luckily I caught it before it became a problem.  I have been told that it would be better to replace rather than try to fix it.  I am waiting for a reply to e-mail and voice mail to Catalina.  In the mean time, has anyone had to replace theirs, and where did you get a replacement tank?  Also, is there anyone that knows a price range for replacement tanks?  And finally, does anyone have any thoughts on replacing the aluminum tank with a plastic tank?

Mike Smith

Here is a Fuel Tank Replacement link for you , Ken. All your questions are covered in it.

Mike

Sorry, link doesn't work.  Try a SEARCH "fuel tank replacement" use """" marks for full phrase for more posts.

djseth

Hi Mike,

I have a 1989 C 34 that I think I've decided to replace the fuel tank in.  I clicked on the link you provided previously in this post, but the link does not work.  Where should I buy it?  Also, what does it come with, new pickup tube? New sending unit?  Does the pickup tube have the filter on it?

Thanks for your help,
Seth

Jeff Kaplan

ken, call catalina, 818-884-7700,ask for parts,  and order the new tank, pt#20791. cost me $331.32 plus $31- frt. last oct. it's the same tank used since 1986. it comes complete with fuel sender. the mounting holes and vent tube position may be different, but no problem. i had to drill a few more holes in the mounting tab and add and extra length of vent hose. the physical size and shape are the same and the new tank is a heavier aluminum. you might want to change the fuel fill hose at this time also. easy job to switch out. good luck...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Craig Illman

Ken - I agree with Jeff, after twenty years, it's probably prudent to change all the hoses to & from the fuel tank. It's an easy job to replace the tank. It took my father-in-law & I less than four hours, including removing and replacing the fuel.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Try this, two pages with photos:    http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4085.0.html

Also, lots of reading if you do a search on "fuel tank" or "fuel tank removal"  (the "s give exact phrase in the search)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bob K

When you receive your new tank from Catalina, the fittings may not be correct for your hoses (that was the case with me).  I had to unscrew the fittings and replace with my original fittings.  Don't make the mistake I did - leave the grey thread grease that Cataline liberally applies to the threads.  It is a thread lubricant and prevents galling.  Not knowing what it was, I wiped it clean and replaced with some permatex thread sealer.  What a mistake!   The threads galled and the fittings siezed.  Luckily the seized fittings are tight and usable, but if I ever have to remove, it will be a job.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay