Roll bar anchors on bow roller Rocna Flix

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Dawe

I am looking at a new anchor to replace my Bruce 22 and the roll bar anchors - Manson Supreme and Rocna are looking good. Does anyone know how well these fit on a C34 1991 stock bow roller?
Tiffany Rose #1159, Burlington Sailing and Boating Club, Burlington Ontario

Craig Illman

Dave - I just put on a Manson Supreme on my '91 #1150. I replaced the bow roller with the longer one from Catalina Direct. http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=927  I also needed to replace the bail with a longer one (BB-2) from Garhauer. http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=73 The Manson shank is very thick. Even the 33# Bruce was a tight fit on the old roller and the bow gelcoat was nicked a few times while in charter.

There's a thread about replacing the bow roller with a tip about using DeBond and using the spare jib halyard to apply upward pressure. The supplied backing plate from Catalina Direct was too wide and needed to be trimmed. You could use the existing backing plate. I also had to drill the head off the most forward fastener on the old roller. It was more expedient than trying to remove the nut.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Here's a 22# Rocna coming up (for it's first overnight stint on the bottom) and how it fits on the old toy bow rollers.

Our old Bruce 16.5# is on the port side and "protects" the hull from the new longer Rocna.  I've since removed the old Bruce and use it for a stern anchor, and moved the Rocna to port.  We added a port cleat, but still kept the middle factory cleat, so a port side anchor works best for us with the two cleats we do have.  I'm considering either what Craig did, or just biting the bullet and adding a small stainless plate to the bow.

We bought this at the suggestion of Maine Sail who did a terrific writeup - search for "Rocna" and read his contribution (#33 page 3 at: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2705.0.html) .  I wrote him offline:

"I bought the 22# having experienced over 25 years sailing here that I would not require anything larger.  Long story, doesn't involve windlasses or bad backs, but just the places I choose to anchor and the way the weather works here - we just don't get those afternoon thunderstorms, etc. 

"Well, you were spot on right about the anchor.  I haven't felt an "I gotcha bottom" like that since [forever]..."

We have 30 feet of 1/4 chain, I bought an anchor connector between the chain and anchor, but still have a shackle on the rode chain joint, but will do a splice there to get rid of the big shackle.  I used 3/8 chain in these pictures, but it's too much for the "system" and having Calder's "Cruising Handbook" I designed the system with the appropriately sized components - only the 3/8 rode chain shackle is overkill.  42 knot wind design with anchor, chain, connector and shackle.

A big advantage of the longer bow roller is keeping the beast on the bow.  We use a line tied to the stanchion and the roll bar of the Rocna.  While I don't have a picture of the latest final install, the shank does come back a teeny bit aft of the anchor locker doors, but the shackle hole is a short slit, not just a hole, so the connector ends up dropping straight down into the locker with the chain.  Interesting and great physical serendipity.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Dave - A picture of the Manson, cropped out of a vacation picture.

Dave Dawe

Thanks for the info and the pics!
Craig - did you put on the longer bow roller because you had to for the Manson to fit or was it an upgrade you were doing anyway? Did the holes match the other one like they say at Catalina Direct?

Craig Illman

Dave - I felt the Bruce 33 was pretty tight for the existing roller, the newer MKII's have the longer roller. I had my doubts whether the Manson would fit, so I did both at the same time. You can print out a template from Catalina Direct. The newer roller had a second rear hole, I just drilled another hole through the quite thin, solid deck. I used new fasteners. The replacement roller was punched with square holes for carridge bolts. The old roller had been fastened with pan head bolts. I recommend taking a ratching box end wrench. I had some interesting bruises on my bicep from reaching through the Beckson plate. Even though it comes with a backing plate, you can use the existing one after retrieving it from under your V-berth when it falls off.

Craig

Dave Dawe

Thanks Craig - what size manson do you have?

Craig Illman

Dave - a 35#. It's only been on the bottom four times, too early to comment on it's effectiveness. It seems to set quicker than my Bruce, but it might be my wallet's optimism. The first time I tested, it was in eelgrass, and it seemed to set right in. I was by myself, quite a distance from shore, hard to tell how much the boat moved.

Craig

Marshall Tonner

Dave, This is my second season with a Rocna 15kg anchor.I have yet to be able to retrieve it without assistance from the engine or oncoming waves.I also installed a self launching anchor roller in place of the original and moved the original to the port side. This required modifying the the anchor locker closure to accommodate the anchor shank. You asked earlier about an anchor windlass and it is the Rocna that has me looking for help in that area because it sets so well. If you drop by to see the factory windlass maybe the anchor rollers will be of some help too.
                                 Marsh
Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II

Stu Jackson

Finally got the anchor set on the port side.  Good news is that because of the design of the shank, and how it sits on the toy bow roller, the blade doesn't dig into the gelcoat on the bow.  Also, the slot at the connection to the connector to the chain makes the connector a bit flexible and drops right into the anchor locker - I was originally concerned that I'd have to do some work on the door.  Next step is to address the lines holding the roll bar, I've got some ideas to clean them up.  The anchor balances very well, but won't stay there without being "leashed."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Dawe

Thanks Stu
I just bought the Rocna 15 and it seems to fit fine on my original bow roller. Just had to change the bail. I have tied a small line through the hole on the top bend of the shank and it goes through the holes at the bottom of my roller furling. So far it is holding well but I haven't given it a good test yet.

Dave

Ancora Latina

Quote from: Stu Jackson on July 28, 2008, 12:32:35 PM
A big advantage of the longer bow roller is keeping the beast on the bow. 

Beware of  "longer" bow rollers!.

During a gale, the forces of the anchor and the anchor line on the bow roller are quite high!!.

Long bow rollers need to be oversized!

AL
ANCORA LATINA
www.ancoralatina.com

pjcomeau

I have the same anchor roller (double) with the forestay in the center as Stu does. It's one solid piece. Has anyone replaced this to put a longer roller? If so, what did you do for the forestay? The roller at Catalina Direct must be for newer boats.
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Ken Juul

I have the long single model shown on the Catalina Direct site.  I think it was standard issue on my 1990 model because I have most of the upgrade receipts from previous owners and its not listed.  It passes to the right of the forestay at a slight angle.  I like the longer "U" groove on it, protects more of the foredeck from banging chain and anchor stock.

Here is the best picture I could find on Yachtworld.  Note that all the long bow rollers have dual forward cleats on the side and at least in my case the anchor cleat has been moved into the anchor locker.  The long bow roller may interfere with the use of the single center cleat just behind the forestay
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

waterdog

For sake of completeness, I thought I would include a shot of what a proper anchor looks like on the bow.   This is my new Rocna 20.   Possibly the best sleeping aid one can find for rolly swell off the surf line.   Oh, and the "toy" anchor rollers work just fine and I don't need to worry about ripping them off with a shock load.   The arch gives me nice access to the cleat and makes it self launching.   

I had Tracey wind her up to about 3 knots in reverse.   I let it roll with a short scope and put a turn on the cleat.  Stunning.   Absolutely stunning.   We used to think we were pretty cool dragging a claw around getting a good set and backing down.    This is an anchor for idiots.   

I have for sale a geniune 10 kG Bruce.   What the heck, I'll offer a package deal with my 15 kG claw...   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat