Older boat vs later

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Perry

Okay, I took Stu's advice and downloaded the Microsoft Resizer Software, so here is a photo of the add on Swim Platform that we have on our 1987.  The platform i smade of teak and the brackets and ladder are stainless.  I am going to put together some photos and dimensions and will have that done sometime next week.

Ron Hill

Guys : The standard or walk thru transom might just dictate how you use the boat. (hulls #1 thru #1294)

A good example is the size of the propane locker on the early walk thru MK 1's.  You have the baby bottle (1 gallon or about 4.5 lbs)  The molded locker is made for that size bottle and you can't expand it!  Now with the EPA having decreed ed that all propane bottle must have an OPD (overflow protection device) - that float assembly cut off, has decreased the 1 gallon bottle to 80% of it's original capacity. 
This make it hard to do any long range cruising with this limitation - because of the walk thur transom!!

In the standard transom however, I increased the propane locker size to hold a 12lb bottle. 

A few "transom" thoughts!
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

For you Mk 1.5 owners.  It is possible to fit a 10# propane tank in the existing space.  A 12# is just a little too big.  It is necessary to build a plywood box re-using the current plastic lid.  See the write up in the galley section of the tech Wiki.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

scotty

Jon,  Thanks for the pictures of the "swim platform".  I'd love to see more details on it.  My wife and I just bought a 1987 MkI.  We looked at the newer model, but it was more money.  We bought a boat that had been very well kept, and had lots of the gear we wanted.  That is really important.  Even with that, we are quite busy upgrading the boat.  That's a process that never ends.   We are very happy with our new boat.  By the way, this forum is a great resource.  I've spent hours just looking around (didn't make my first post for 3 months).  I've learned a lot about my boat.  My thanks to everyone who participates - and especially those who administer the system. It's a big help regardless of whether you get an older or a newer model. 8)
Scotty

2ndwish

Depending upon where you sail, there is one more thing to think about with an open transom. Our first cruise on 2nd Wish was an overnight in Newport, CA. The local fauna are quite friendly- maybe a bit too friendly. We were moored next to a powerboat with a swim platform which the owners had covered with plastic chairs and plastic fencing in an effort to stave off the onslaught of the native Sea Lions. When we arrived at the mooring, the natives who had been loitering in the water behind the swim platform came to greet us- no doubt to see whether we provided a more accommodating sun platform. Brooke, my wife was concerned about leaving 2nd Wish when went ashore for dinner, but our 1987 closed transom model was too much trouble for them. Even then Brooke insisted we sleep with the companionway boards in. As we departed the next day, it appears she was probably wise in her insistence.

Attached is a photo of the scene with a victorious Sea Lion perched on the stern of the powerboat, having overcome the obstacles placed on the swim platform.  

T