Older boat vs later

Previous topic - Next topic

hump180

We are thinking about purchasing a Catalina 34 and are currently considering a 1988 but are unsure if we should wait an extra year or two to pick up an early 1990s boat with the bigger engine and walk through.
I do not want to begin a debate as I know these are all great boats, but I am wondering a few things. Does the bigger engine provide more speed when motoring? Do people really find the walk through swim platform useful? I just want to make sure I buy the correct boat the first time.
Thanks
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

HBDave

When I bought my early 1990 (no walk thru and 25XP engine) in 1998, the later 1990's with walk-thru and the larger engine were carrying a $10,000 premium. Since I started out looking at Catalina 30's, until my wife saw a Catalina 34, I had to draw the line somewhere. I would guess the difference in price would be less today and very well might be a good investment. I think for day to day sailing the transom makes no difference, but if you dingy tender a lot from your boat the ease of boarding from a swim step is a plus! Regarding the engine, I'm in Southern California (no big tides or currents) and the 25XP will push the boat at 6.5+ knots. I don't know that the larger engine would get you there any faster and it will burn more fuel. I would determine your budget, figure out what you can't live without and then buy the best boat possible with your budget.

Good Luck,

Dave
Dave
1990 - 988

Joe and Carol

Experience with our 1987 fresh water tall rig is completely satisfactory.  We stay happy with our older yacht and apply upgrades and improvements of later models . . . but, for performance, comfort and owner pride, we do not wish we had a later model.  Well, maybe on the days we feel more flush with funds. 

A good "older" Catalina is a treasure reflecting the owners care and the production qualities of the Catalina brand.  When you find a good pre sailed Catalina our advice is get the best you can for your money, the yacht you really want, and you will find comfort with the hull number.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Ted Pounds

All C34's top out at 6.5 kts or so when motoring.  That speed is based on waterline length.  The bigger engine will allow you to hold that speed in stronger headwinds and larger head seas.  For still-water motoring the bigger engine offers no advantage.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jon Schneider

Definitely go for the walk-thru transom.  It's unbelievably convenient, plus it provides a "oneness" with the water as you sail.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Juul

Each owner has their own needs.  For us, a walk thru was a requirement.   I would recommend you give both a try during your boat shopping and decide where it falls in your "I want" list.  As far as the engine goes, the extra power is nice if you will routinely fight head winds/current.  However it is a larger engine/transmission so maintenance room is reduced.  Again try to look at each installation, look at how you will use the boat and decide which one you need.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

You might be interested in this: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1335.0.html

And this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6123.0.html

The "Options" order form also is on the website so you can check off what's on a boat you're looking at.  See History and read down to Price List and click on it:  http://www.c34.org/history.html

We have one of the "originals" 1986, M25.  Works great even here with our strong tides.  We like the closed transom for coming back from sea through the Golden Gate with 25 knot winds behind us, but would love a walk through when anchored.  The dinghy at the stern is a bummer, so a side ladder would be a great addition.  I just haven't gotten around to that yet... :D  You'll always be adding and enhancing what's there, so if you spend 3 times your budget for "fix-its" over and beyond the price of the boat itself, just think of it this way:  spend that overage in the first year and play catch-up, or spread it out over three years as you get to know the boat.  I'll bet you that there are things you think you'll "absolutely" need and "couldn't do without" when you start out with the boat and after using it for a year or so find out that there are other priorities.  It's fun, it's a boat and it's a damned good boat, to boot.

Do a search on the word "weblog" and read Steve Lyle's two posts and Kyle Ewing's great contribution.

I've almost always felt that there were four C34s:

1 - the original closed transom
2 - the dimple stern like Steve & Nancy Butler's no walk through but a step at the aft end of stern (I call this the C34 Mark 1-1/4!!!)
3 - the walk through in the 1046 to 119xx series  (C34 Mark 1-1/2)
4 - the "real" Mark II

No matter what you buy, you'll be happy if she's in good shape and has been well taken care of.  We searched for a year (for ONLY C34s) and saw some dreadful neglect.  Stay away from those low priced boats, because they'll eat you out of house and home.  Even a "good" one that's "bare" is better than a fixer upper.  You'll spend 3 times your budget even if you get the 'right' one - I won't tell your wife if you don't. :D  You'll always be adding equipment and systems depending on how you use the boat (anchor out or marina hopper).

Good luck and welcome to the group.  Join the C34IA when you purchase your boat and keep in touch.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Perry

I went through the exact same process when we bought our 1987 last year.  It was in great condition but it didn't have the walk thru transom. 
However, I didn't want to spend the additional $10,000 for that.  So when we saw Rio Blues in Sandusky, OH we fell for it because it has an add-on teak swim platform, with s/s brackets and ladder. 
The platform has been great. We didn't get the walk thru transom, but we are pleased with what we got.

If you or anyone else wants to see pictures of the add-on platform, send me an email to JP72212@comcast.net and I'll send you the info.

Stu Jackson

Jon, great idea that I'd completely forgotten about!  You can easily post pictures here for all to see.  Go to this link which explains how to do it:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Arnold

If you can swing the cost difference that goes with the walk through transom I feel it is a no brainer.  We have a walk through and the benefits are:
   ease of boarding a dinghy
   oneness with the sea as mentioned above
   ease of swimming
   lots of room behind the wheel with seat removed
   I often shower (with bathing suit) on the swim platform so as not to get the head all wet. 
   If you end up using a generator the walk through provides a place to put the gen convenient to the     electic hook up while exasting out the stearn.
As for following seas; forget about them swamping the cockpit - it just doesn't happen!

I hope this helps...
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

David Sanner

I would also add the MkII cockpit is a fair bit wider
than the MkI so if you plan on piling a lot of people
in there that's something to consider.

The walk through transom sounds like a nice feature
if you're swimming a lot or using a dinghy regularly.
(Or have difficulties with boarding ladders)
Not a huge priority in the colder waters of SF Bay
but are nice nonetheless.

The larger motors are nice if you motor a lot
into winds & seas.   The MkI with a good prop will
cruise easily above six knots.  (I get 6.3+ at cruise RPMS
with a two blade folder)  In rough seas you might get
knocked down a 1/2 knot, depending on your prop.
The MkII with the right prop should have no problem
getting 7+ kts and staying close to 7 in a moderate
seaway however you'll burn a lot more fuel.

Finally the MkII have full sized stern pulpit seats,
no teak, windlass, larger rudder (though many have
upgraded), improved deck hardware, better plumbing &
counters, and a few other nice features...

Stu makes some good points about the shape of the
boat being the most important.

Good luck... you really can't go wrong with a well
maintained c34.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Stephen Butler

As Stu commented, we have the "dimpled" stern...closed aft, but with an integral swim platform that is reached via 2 steps out of the cockpit.  Getting on and off the boat to a dingy is excellent, but with the added advantages of more storage, less hull flex, an enclosed cockpit for added privacy, and protection in a following sea.  We were about to purchase an open-transom C34 when we saw the closed cockpit/integral swim latter version and bought it.  Whatever you decide, the C34 is a wonderful boat and the C34 group is incredibly helpful.  Best of luck to you!
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Bill Asbury

My recommendation is that you buy the newest boat you can afford, but definitely at least the Mark I 1/2 with walkthru transom/swim platform.  Also keep in mind that the older the boat you buy the more likely you will have expensive maintenance/upgrade issues including having to replace standing rigging and who knows what all unless the PO has spent beaucoup bucks saving you the trouble and expense.
Thus spending the extra $10K to get not only the swimplatform but a boat in better condition and better equipped will look like a smart move in retrospect.
Good luck!
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Wayne

We back into our slip so we can board through the open transom.  Way more convenient than hauling ourselves over the rail.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Randy and Mary Davison

I'd recommend the walkthrough.  We have 1068, a Mark "1.5" and really appreciate the ease of using the walkthrough at anchor to get in and out of the dinghy.  We also use that approch at marinas to avoid splinters, rails, etc. 

It's not quite true that water "never" comes in through the transom!  It's happened twice to us over 9 years under very different conditions.  Once we had grabbed a park bouy as a power boat wake showed up.  It washed through the cockpit and spashed a bit of saltwater through the companionway.  The other time was two weeks ago in a nasty piece of water called Johnstone Strait.  35 knot winds against an opposite 2 knot current.  We were going downwind under partial jib and taking some water through the transom as the steep chop broke against the stern.  We put in the lower hatch board and didn't worry about it execpt for wet tennis shoes.

We've always had the M35A so we have no basis for comparison with the 25 but we have been slowed to 3 knots against a large chop and headwinds with the engine turning 2800 so there wasn't power to spare.

Randy
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe