Cable TV Jack

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy

I've been looking for something to connect the TV cable on the inside to one side of a bulkhead (the exterior wall) to the TV and
then able to connect the cable from the dock to the outside.  The only thing that I've found so far has a TV and Phone
connector together.  Anyone know of something with just TV and/or what does anyone else out there use??
Thanks, Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Sundance

I routed my cable to the anchor locker.  I didn't use anything special, just simple connectors you find at the local Walmart.  The whole thing cost less than $10.   It was a quick install, you just take the forward bulkhead off and then you have access to the whole anchor locker.  I placed it at the very top shelf area in the locker.  I ran the cable back to the cabinet above the nav station, or where ever you choose.  I will try to get a pic this weekend.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Wayne

Radio Shack carries all kinds of connectors.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Ken Juul

The anchor well idea is a good one, keeps it out of the way when not in use.  Sundance wasn't clear if the cable terminates in the anchor well or is coiled so there is enough length to reach the dock.  My anchor locker gets douched enough in the frequent chop we get here I don't think it would be my choice.

There is lots of space port side aft under the engine panel.  If you installed a Beckson Port there you could either:
1.  Install a male coax connector and run a fixed coax to the Navsta or other interior location.  When hooking up run your "shore coax" between the Beckson connector and dock.  Coil and store the shore coax when not in use.
2.  Using a 50-60' length of coax, run one end from the Beckson port forward to the Navsta/interior location.  Coil the rest in the interior space between the aft water tank and the fuel tank securing the free end so it is reachable from the Beckson Port.  When hooking up the coax to the dock, pull what you need out.

Coax connectors can be used in exterior applications, but only as a complete unit.  The signal carried isn't that strong, just a little corrosion will lead to a poor picture.  Having an open male or female end exposed to the elements isn't a good idea.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Gyus : I wouldn't recommend ever putting a cable TV connection in the anchor well - especially in a salt water environment. 
I've never seen a Marine connector with only a TV only - think you should spring for the combo TV & Phone. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Our PO put a faceplate with a simple coax connector (and cover cap) on the vertical wall beneath the helmsman's seat just under the wood on the starboard side.  He routed the coax through the port locker, behind the head and to another outlet above the nav station.  He then plugged a (120V) signal amplifier into the interior coax connection and connected his TV to that.  The purpose was to use his TV antenna which he hoisted up his backstay.  In ten years, we've only used it once.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Michael Shaner

Can anyone share success or failure with mounting a satellite TV dish (dish network / direcTV) to the top of their slip piling?
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ken Juul

Not personaly but several of the liveaboards at our marina use them.  Placement seems to be a bit of a trade off.  Best place is on a piling attached to the dock so it doesn't sway as the boats slide around in the slip and tug on their dock lines.  But then they may get in the way of dock traffic or curious fingers.   A freind in a different marina whose dock is very close to land got permission to install a stand alone post to mount his dish on, ran the coax down the side of the dock, stores the coil that goes to the boat in his dock box.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA