Adding A/C

Previous topic - Next topic

BillG

Roc, appreciate the offer, I'm next door at Osprey Point
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Rick Johnson

John,

I realize that the access door in the head is slightly larger on a Mk-II vs a Mk-I, but how did you get the 16k btu unit installed?  Did it really fit thru the access door?

Thanks,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

John Sheehan

Rick,
The dealer installed the unit when we purchased the boat.  It is a tight fit but they probably removed the door frame to give themselves more room.  It has worked well for us because we haven't lost any usable storage and with the head door closed it is quiet.  Not sure if I ever have to work on the unit how much fun that will be. 
John
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

Craig Illman

Rick - I've seen a 2001 & 2007 MkII and the size of the access door under the head sink varies considerably. The 2001 is quite narrow, I don't know what year it was enlarged.

Craig

Rick Johnson

I just don't think there is any way the A/C will fit thru the door under the counter (in the head) on my 1990 Mk-I.  I guess I could see if I could remove the countertop and drop it in from the top.  I really like the idea of not losing any storage space, but I'm not sure this spot is doable.

Cheers,

Rick

Craig Illman

Rick - What about the fuel tank shelf? There's about an 18x10 space just forward of my fuel tank.

Craig

Roc

To get the AC unit under the head sink, you don't go through the door and you don't remove the sink top.  You put the unit throught the cutout that you make for the intake grill.

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Mike Denest

BillG,

We're in Blue 54 at Haven harbour, stop by to take a look at our AC installation.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Rick Johnson

I'm down to thinking I'd go with installing the A/C unit in the forepeak or perhaps the v-berth's hanging locker.  I was always planning on adding 4 12x12 louvered doors  under the v-berth cushions as in the "projects" page.  Would that be enough ventilation for the forepeak A/C unit?  If I use the hanging locker, I have a 12x12 teak return vent but it would be slightly covered by the v berth cushions.  Then again, the hanging locker also has a louvered door....

So many choices and so little money.

Cheers,

Rick