Windlass on a '91

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Dawe

I am wanting to install a windlass on my 1991 #1159. I have read a number of posts on installing on the deck. I would like to install in the anchor well (single well), since it seems like it is designed to handle one. I contacted Catalina and received plans using a windlass with a right angle drive. Those seem to be more expensive and so I am wondering if anyone has installed either a standard horizontal or vertical windlass in the single anchor well?
Thanks
Dave
Tiffany Rose #1159, Burlington Sailing and Boating Club, Burlington Ontario

Stu Jackson

Dave, try here:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-anchor-windlass-apache.html

We have a BIG website, and using the search engines and familiaring yourself with the items in the Guide to the Website Post will reward you with many valuable resources.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Dawe

Thanks Stu
I did read Ron's description of that installation. It appears though that the double anchor well with double doors in his boat is a different configuration than the single well of the '91 and so I am searching out an installation in a similar well.

Dave

Stu Jackson

Dave, I see.  Though I'm not sure I understand how much a difference there is.  Ron's install was designed to keep the windlass "hidden", so the number of doors would seem to be immaterial (once the door(s) are opened).  He built what was eventually a factory built arrangement in the later models.  Perhaps some folks can supply photos of their own OEM layouts for you to review.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Dawe

Yes - photos of windlass setups would be great. I don't need the whole plans, just need to know some options so that I can shop around for a couple of different windlass models and get the best fit and function for the best cost. So if anyone can send a couple of photos of their windlass installations in the anchor well that would be great. A picture from down below would really help as well. Also, if you could include the type of windlass that is installed.
You can post here or send to me at davedawe@netscape.net

Thanks!!
Dave

Ken Juul

I think I have some at home, I'll check tonight
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Dave : Contact Hank Recla who has a 1989 C34 with the same single anchor well door (& inside) configuration that you have.  He installed a Maxwell 800 in there just like the factory's horizontal set up - about 3 years ago. 
Call him at (703) 216-9965 and I'm sure he will help you.  I know he has the gypsy for chain, but he may also have the drum for line.
He's been a frequent contributor to Mainsheet Tech notes!!  A thought!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Here are the pictures.  I do not know what size Maxwell I have. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Dave Dawe

Thanks Stu, Ron and Ken. The info and pics are great to get me going in the right direction!

Dave