cowl vents

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

I'm finally getting around to replacing my cowl vents; put it off for two seasons, but since I lost one overboard this weekend due to a hyperactive sheet, it's time.
Anyone know which model is correct for 1989? Per past posts, it looks like the model switched from Vetus to Nicro, but I'm not clear when. Also, if it is the Vetus, would it be the Tom or Jerry model? I know Ron previously said he thought it was Jerry, but I'd like to confirm.

thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Ed, have you seen this post?  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1115.0.html

There's also this:  http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Aug_2005.pdf

Rick Johnson has done some marvelous work on his.  Find one of his posts and check his previous posts or search for doarde with his name.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

Thanks Stu; I didn't see that post.
I'll check it out.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Salem, MA

Tony Benoit

Ed,

I'm sorry that I don't remember whether I used the Toms or the Jerrys, but I upgraded my dorades to those from Vetus after knocking the second Nico overboard.

Installation was not plug-and-play; there was a little filling and drilling.  But I finished the job in an hour or so.  And the final result is well worth the effort.  The Vetuses are much sturdier and harder to dislodge.  And they have built in bug screens and can be closed if necessary.

Thanks,

Tony

Ed Shankle

According to the past posts, it appears that Nicro should be the correct cowl, but given my measurements, Vetus model Tom may be the correct part. Hull #866 must have been before the transition to Nicro, even though it is a 89.
Also, I've seen the other posts about the box alternatives, including Rick's, but I'm looking to keep it simple and just replace the actual cowl, not the entire dorade box and internals.
I've ordered the Vetus; we'll see if that's correct when I receive it.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Salem, MA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Have you considered the Nicro solar vents?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

dave davis

ED,
Since your boat is a 89 it might be be same as my 88. I kept loosing the vent do to the same problem you mentioned. Finally, some one clewed me into a much better and simple improvement. Just take the dumb vent completely off and you will see a very nice stainless vent that is a low profile and looks just fine. You wont be sorry.
Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Mike Vaccaro

Moving air in and out of the boat is the key to avoiding mildew and the classic "boat smell."  The dorades on the C34 are the primary means to get air in and a solar vent is the best means to get air out.  The mushrooms under the dorade vents will allow air into the boat, but they don't do as good a job of "scooping" the air below.  A dorade facing the prevailing wind will act as an intake, and a dorade facing away will act as an exhaust.  We have stainless steel Vetus vents (model TOM-316) that where a direct replacement for the plastic model WKTS that equipped our 1988, Hull #563.  The Vetus intakes are easily adjusted and we'll normally orient one fore and one aft when the boat is at the dock.

We published an article in Tech Notes by Jim Moe with another alternative, stainless vent:    "The cowl vents shown in the photo are round sheet stainless steel and although these are still available from the Mariner's Hardware catalog only the cast stainless cowl vents appear on their web site.  Tear-drop and oval vents are also available.  Check their web site at www.marinershardware.com.  If you decide to change over to the Mariner's Hardware cowl vents, contact Scott Buchan at 877 765-0880  (toll free in the USA) or at sales@marinershardware.com.  Scott advises that they offer a 10% discount on all Mariner's Hardware products to Catalina Owners Group members."  Keep in mind that this was published in 2007.

Any vent has the potential to hang up in a sheet or halyard, and the bigger the vent, the greater the hazard.  Dorade guards are available from multiple sources, but most folks have reported good luck NOT fouling, even with the larger vents installed.  The vents on the C34 should allow about 12-29 cubic feet per minute each to flow with an ambient wind between 4-8 knots.

The photos show the Mariner's hardware and Vetus options.  Both use the basic Vetus plastic base.  This benefits from a coat of good paint prior to installation, since the plastic is realatively quick to discolor when exposed to UV radiation. 

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel