Hove to

Previous topic - Next topic

Analgesic

I would greatly appreciate any advice  on the best way to hove to in the Catalina 34.  I have a 1988 with a 130 genoa.  I learned to sail on a Vanguard 15 day sailor and we were taught to tack, back wind the jib and luff the main with the tiller steering hard back into the wind.  Last Summer, 20 years later,I find myself in 29-33 knots wind on a beam reach with 3-4 feet of chop towing an inflatable.  The inflatable flipped and efforts to right it proved futile.  Whenever the reefed main luffed even a little, the vibration in the rigging was frightening. I had to drop all sail and motor at 3 knots for 3 hours to my destination with this sea anchor.  I suspect a proper hove to maneuver would have allowed us to bring the inflatable on deck and resume sailing.  Thanks in advance for any shared experience.
Brian McPhillips
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Stu Jackson

Brian, exactly the same way you were taught works just fine with a C34, we do it all the time.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

In addition, see: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3172.0.html

A search on "heave to" brings up a few additional discussions.  Use the " marks to get the proper phrase (it'll also pick up sheaves too! :D).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Have "hoved" our C34 many times.  As Stu replied, you have it right. I seem to recall a good article about hoving to in the Sail magazine...do't know which issue.

About the inflatable dingy flipping...we always tow ours (11' Avon, with plywood floor boards) and sometimes in seas the same or larger than you described.  If you find yourself in a similar situation again, you might consider bringing the dingy closer to the stern, as in a couple of feet or less, and adding two additional lines, besides the primary tow line, one to each side of the dingy.  We have done this many times, in rough seas, and never had a flip.  And yes, it would be best to secure the dingy aboard on the bow, but we never seem to get this done in time.  Just a thought.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

crieders

Read Storm Tactics by the Pardey's which I just finished or any of the other wonderful books on the subject.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Allan.SVCarina

Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)