Awnings

Previous topic - Next topic

BillG

I'm looking to buy or have made, an awning to run from the mast to aft of the back stay.  Ideally it would keep both sun and rain off as we sit in the cockpit.  The only photos I have been able to find are on the projects page posted by Ron several years ago.  I'd appreciate any recomendations, thoughts, and better yet photos any of you have.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

mtullier

Bill,

We have an awning that covers from the mast to the back stay.  I will take a few pictures and send them to you.

Mike
Mike

DougP

Funny timing. Was just wrapping this project up today. No pictures, but will describe it.

On previous boats I made a cover that utilized tent poles that arched over the cockpit Conestoga wagon style. Couldn't do that on the C34 because of the topping lift, back stay, and lazy jacks.

On Noeta I took two pieces of Sunbrella. Three of the sides  have your basic grommets in the corners and about every two feet. The top has nylon webbing loops with small carabiners clipped on. The 'beeners and loops were installed to clip to the back stay, topping lift, and the first set of jacks.  The bottom aft corner clips on to the end of the push pit railing. The other grommets bungee to the life lines.

I set this up as two separate pieces. That way I can put 1/2 up  as a sun shade and leave the other side open. When both are up there is a gap between them where rain can come in.

I'm only dealing with the rain on the aft portion as the  very little rain will come in where the shades rest against the main sail cover. That section is also above the dodger.

For the gap in the back (boom end to back stay) I've installed the female half of twist locks on the Sunbrella. To cover the gap I'm trying to find some opaque flexible plastic (think flexible cutting boards) I can put the male ends of the twist locks on.  This will block the rain, but also allow some diffused light in if we end up sitting out a rainy day at the dock.

If interested I'll take pictures when it's done.

Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

BillG

Photos would be great.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Terry Forshier

I have rigged up an old canvas sunshade cover I had made for my previous boat. I am using it as a sunshade for my C34. What I am looking for is something to use as a pole that will flex to run through the slots in the cover and will bend in an arch. Now my cover is flat on top and held up by the mainsail hallyard and the secondary hallyard. then tied onto the backstay. I have been using expandable swim pool poles and then tying them to the lifelines. In a blow they bend and break. What do they use on the "conastoga" wagon type shades you purchase from sunshade companies? anyone have any suggestions?
Here in Sunny Florida keeping the boat shaded really makes it much cooler at the dock. I keep the boat at home at my dock so I turn the AC to 89 degrees. In the afternoons it kicks on and keeps the humidity out of the interior. You would be surp[rised how cool 89 degrees can feel inside a dehumidified cabin. Usually after the 4 pm shower and it cools down and the Ac will kick off and not come on until the next day.
This makes it mildew free and comfortable. Anyone else do this?
Terry

mtullier

Bill,

I took a few pictures of the awning.  The max size for pictures are 75KB on this page.  My camera is set at 135 KB.  Shoot me an email at mtullier@charter.net and I will send them to you.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I've just purchased a bimini which is nice but I see a lot of boats in our marina with the large beach umbrellas fastened to the back rail through either fishing rod holders or some sort of clamps.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

For Mike Tullier:

Re photo file sizes, please see: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mtullier

Thanks Stu
Mike

mtullier

More
Mike