Ignition Switch replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Hi All, I am the guy with the earlier post on engine instrument cluster problem.  I do believe the problem was in the ignition switch.  Before I replaced the switch, when I turned it on, and over to heat the glow plugs, the alarm noise would really deepen, indicating a major draw on the switch, I did notice the wire ends were darkened.  jWith the new switch, there is no different tone to the noise, the only indication I have that the glowplugs are on is the drop at the voltage meter. (my little light must be burned out)  and of course the motor starting.
I noticed I do not have the glowplug solenoid uipgrade installed, will get right on it.  Sometimes a little trouble with the boat gets us to learn a lot, and with the help from this board, we can usually get it fixed.  By the way, the ignition switch was bought at a marine store for 17 bucks, I checked with auto stores and it was a real hassel, I must have looked at 20 switches trying to find one that worked.  Went to the local marine store and there was the direct replacement, so sometimes marine stores aren't as bad price wise as we think.  Thanks guys,   Bob

This started here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4381.msg25599.html#msg25599
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Bob : I'll guess that your "alarm noise" was the NO OIL PRESSURE !!  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788