forward hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

brant

I need a replacement lens for the forward trapezoidal hatch on Bruja, an 88 model c-34.
I brought the measurements for the outside of the hatch with me when I left the boat in Honduras a few weeks ago.  The people at Bomar, however say that they need more information from me, and they don't index the replacement lens with the external measurements I have.   Additional info that they need are the thickness, and whether the hatch is high profile or low profile.  I have read all the threads on hatch replacements, but nothing tells me that information.  Does anyone have a Bomar part number or other definitive way of identifying what I have to order?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
     And many thanks to all those who make this website so great-
Brant

Jon Schneider

Brant, are you sure you have a Bomar forward hatch?  I thought all the trapezoidal hatches were the Lewmar #65 model, like mine (I think).  I can't supply the info you need, but if it turns out your hatch is not Bomar, you might want to check out Select Plastics (http://www.selectplastics.com).  For an obscene amount of money, they will replace the lens for you.  I had mine done a few years ago.  They did a very good job.  (I think I've just about paid it off by now, though.)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

waterdog

Brant,

I have my old forward hatch lens at home and can probably give you some precise measurements, except for maybe the radius of the corners, which would be ballpark.   However, I'm certain it was a Lewmar in my '88.   If you have something different, it wouldn't help you.   (Do you have those roll stop hinges that are supposed to keep your hatch open and don't?   It's probably the Lewmar.)

If you have access to any machining capability in Honduras (really a modern woodworking / cabinet shop with a drill press, jigsaw or bandsaw, and router with flush trim bit) you could take a piece of smoked bronze 1/2" acrylic 2 ft square (not even a mm less on Lewmar) and somebody with reasonable skills could reproduce it to exact dimensions in about 45 minutes.   You would need to bring them the new material, your old hatch material, and some two sided tape.   I think I even posted instructions with pictures that show how to do it here.  If you're sourcing material, get the right adhesive / sealant while you are stateside. 

If you're handy you don't even need a machine shop.  This could be done with a small router, jigsaw and hand drill.   

In fact, I would strongly recommend local machining using your old lens as template rather than having expensive material machined to dimensions / sketches thousands of miles away.  Miss it by a millimeter and your done - unless you can get it from the original manufacturer or somebody who has lots of them and knows exactly what hatch you are talking about.   

Simply buying a new #65 model might save you a ton of hassle and could be cheaper in the long run. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Wait.  Wait.  I can't help myself.  I have to do my first Stu.   You can find more information here:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4103.0.html
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Rick Johnson

You might try Minney's if you want an entire replacement hatch.  The last time I was in SoCal they had Lewmar #65s (NIB) for I believe $350.

http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Brant : Try HatchMasters at www.selectplastics.com .  They specialize in replacing lenses.  I'll guess that your 1988 probably has a Lewmar "Roll stop" hatch.  A thought.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

pjcomeau

My 1988 has the Nibo Bomar trapezoidal hatch also. The other two hatches (salon and head) are also Bomar hatches.

Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Mert Gollaher

My '87 has a Bomar trapezoidal hatch though I am not sure if it's original or if it was replaced by the PO.  My lens was cracked due to a freak mis-step by my father-in-law.  Just ordered a replacement lens from Bomar (Pompanette, LLC; Charlestown, NH; 603.826.5791).  I spoke with a very helpful woman named Christy, and gave her the number on the inside of the frame (#91000618) and rough dimensions (18.25" top-bottom; 19.5" side - side lower; 24.25" side-side upper).  Christy said that translates to Bomar hatch N1094-10AX and $615 to replace the hatch, and about $450 for the lid.  I went for the replacement lens at $123 inc. shipping.  She said it would take a couple of weeks to get it in the queue and another week to ship it to me.  I had it within 2 weeks with a page of directions.  Christy strongly recommended GE Ultraglaze SSG 4000 to bed the lens.  Her price was $32 for the tube, but she readily acknowledged I might be better off getting it elsewhere, which I did ($23 I think).   I haven't put it in yet (duct tape is holding well) as I haven't had the time to pull and replace the lens given that it will take me at least 3X the amount of time I estimate for the job.
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Michael

Mert, nice detailed post (and welcome aboard).
Michael MacLeod, "Hali" 1997 Hull #1352, Universal M-35B engine, Vancouver, BC

Ted Pounds

Mine was a Bomar too.  I think I just gave them the lens measurements and they send the right one.  I wasn't sure about the thickness so I got the thicker lens.  Easy to hide its protrusion with a bevel of extra caulk around the edge.  Net result is the hatch is now 50% stronger.  It's an easy DIY job as per Waterdog's link.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Guys : As I recall C34 Vberth hatches - the 1986s had an opaque hatch, the 1987s have a Bowmar hatch
and the 1988 / subsequent have a Lewmar hatch.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

brant

Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions regarding the replacement lens for my forward hatch.  It sounds like there was a changeover from Bowmar to Lewmar sometime during the production run of the 88 model.  At any rate, mine is the Bowmar (Nibo)  model, and with the help of some of the information many of you provided, I can get the correct replacement.  I will use the installation info concerning sealant, installation details, etc which should be the same for either brand.  Unfortunately, there is no available  shop to help with fabrication, so I'll get the lens here and cart it down to Honduras.  I'll already past the airline baggage weight limit for the first two bags, so what's a few more pounds of plastic and sealant!  Thanks Again!!!
Brant

Mike Vaccaro

We purchased replacement Bomar hatches for our '88 directly from Pompenette about four years ago.   At that time, they had a web listing for "factory overstocks."  We were fortunate that they had both a square hatch for the coach roof as well as a trapezoidal hatch available.  The price of the complete hatch assemblies was comparable to ordering the lens replacement kits.  Odds of finding a square hatch are certainly higher than finding the trapezoidal.  A careful search of the web or a call might point you in the right direction.  E-bay may be another source of excess stock that can be had below full retail price.

Cheers,

Mike 

1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel