Best Sailing dogs

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

Thanks for all the great pictures. Here we are with Scooter in beter days. Trying to post a photo,
Terry

Terry Forshier

tried again for photo,Terry

kdexter

We have had a Schipperke on our boats for 20 years - they do shed, but other than that they are terrific boat dogs.  Clever, adaptable and always up for some fun.  Also they have little oil in their fur, thus they don't smell when wet.  Last year we had to interrupt our 3 week cruise to take Hoover, our 15 year old Schip home - to much stress for him (my veterinarian daughter said with disgust - Mom, it is like sailing with a hundred year old person!!) so this year he stayed home.  Actually, I think it was lack of sleep due to our 8 month old Schip on board that caused the stress.  We also have a 14 year old Jack Russell who is great on board - but beware, he is not the usual Jack - he has always been sensible and fun.  Whatever breed you choose, buy from a good breeder and explain the kind of dog you need.  We bought our young Schip from Safari Schipperkes in Ft Worth - sight unseen, (we are in CT) and he is as terrific a boat dog as our others were.  Here is a typical Schipperke story: they are serious about their duty as captain - they rarely sleep when underway -   One Sept. night we left for Block Island about 10 pm.  Once we got thru Watch Hill Passage, the Jack Russell and I went below and curled up under a wool blanket.  My husband and Hoover were left with only the pedestal cover for warmth.  Hoover refused the protection and sat stalwartly by the wheel intil we picked up the mooring. 
I am a nut about wanting the boat clean, but our Schips and Jack Russell have been so wonderful that I don't begrudge the extra vaccuuming and washdowns! 

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Todd Reese

We have a couple of Maltese. They have been a great add to our sailing adventures. Cooper is 5 pounds and Jack is 9 pounds. They are non shedding and are natural born sailor dogs. But after getting the two critters we had to move to the Catalina 34 from a 28, get a bigger truck, buy a bigger bed and invest in a dink for the potty breaks when on the hook. I wouldn't change it for the world. Check out www.cooperandjack.com.
Todd & Joni Reese
s/v Eroica II
St. Petersburg, FL

Joe Kern

Note the hat too...
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Lance Jones

I'll weigh in on this too. We have two dogs. One 3/4 Sheltie and 1/4 Border Collie. He is awesome! Actually stays on the foredeck even in heavy weather. The other is a short legged Jack Russell. She is also a great boat dog. She gets with who ever is behind the helm and gives direction on where to go! The minute you let the lines go from the dock, they are out of the cabin and in position!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622