Lightning Strike

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

My boat was hit by lightning in a severe squall yesterday.  Fortunately it was sitting on it's mooring in the middle of the harbor with no one aboard.  The effects are strange to say the least.  All navigation except the depth sounder are inoperable (depth sounder is fine).  The engine starts and seems to run fine but the buzz when the key is turned to heat the glow plug is gone.  TV and stereo are history as is the battery level indicator but the batteries seem to be fine.  Interior lights also work as do the domestic water pump and bilge pump.  What's really strange is the VHF radio turns on and a radio check revealed it has a range of a few hundred yards but no further.  I raised someone about 4 or 5 miles away on my handheld but they could not pick up my transmission from the built in VHF. 

I was advised by members of my yacht club to have the boat hauled and inspected inside and out paying particular attention to thru hulls, the rigging, etc.  Any other advise for someone that has never had any experience with lightning beyond enjoying the light show in the middle of the night from the comfort of my home?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Bobg

sorry to hear about the strike, Lightning hit the boat next to me two years ago, I started to have problems with my boat also, the bottom line, it took out my battery charger, lots of wierd stuff went on until I disconnected  it. But you say you were at a mooring, probably not plugged in to shore power as I was.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

Glad to hear YOU are OK.  Since you may be covered by insurance, follow the proper procedures for investigating what the effects of the strike were, which could include a survey supported by your insurance agency.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

I have no experience with lightning, but I wonder if it instantly nukes your zincs?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Mark Wey

David

I was struck by lightning last year in my C-36. We were motoring in a severe squall and while it was not a direct hit it fried all of our electronics. We estimate the lightning to hit the water about 50yards behind us. The moral of the story is. Replace ALL of your electronics even if they appear to be working. According to Raymarine they are now unstable at best. I know they have a slightly biased oppinion but it does make sense. We found some soldered joints fully intact and others ready to part.

Our  insurance company was excellent to deal with and while it sort of ruined our holiday. We have a kick A set of electronics for this years cruise.

Jon the zincs survived intact.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Stephen Butler

We were docked in a marina, several boats down from a sailboat that took a lightening strike....and slowly sank!   When the boat was lifted, I had the chance to go aboard and inspect things.  Several things I will always recall: All the chrome was gone from every facet, latch, screw head, etc.; All of the seacocks were melted; and most interesting, at the water line and completely circling the boat, were evenly spaced (1 every 10 ") small holes(1/16" to 1/32 "), completely through the hull structure. I do not think I could have drilled holes with the same precision. 

We have never been hit, but have had the occasional very close call (we sail in Florida waters) and these memories always return.  Just a story, and of course, good luck with the insurance...but check everything!
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Stu Jackson

When the "metal" thru hulls go, it's time to feel VERY good about your Marelon thru hulls.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Arnold

Thanks for the feedback thus far.  So far the "experts" agree with the comments above .  My insurance company is sending out a marine surveyor to inspect the boat both in and out of the water.  The electronics company I hired said without question that everygthing should be replaced; I just hope the insurance company agrees which I suspect they will as long as the survey suggests the same.  Will keep you all posted. 
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Steve Hansen

David

Our boat was struck 10 days after we bought it. The down side was it took about 3-4 weeks to get her going again. The plus side was no thru hull or hull damage and we have a new battery charger, voltage regulator, VHF etc etc. also the VHF antenna was blown off. I would suggest if possible to follow the surveyor, satisfy your self that every thing is OK, that way your not wondering if every thing is alright on your next cruise.
Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP