Taking One for the Team (Honda generators)

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

It seems we are all pretty much unanimous.   The Honda generators are beautiful, ultra reliable machines that belong on C34s.  The only choice is the EU1000 for general duty or the EU2000 if you like your water hot and you don't mind bumping your knees when you slip in to the dinette  They have a lovely reputation. 

They also have a lovely price tag.   The local Honda dealer quoted me $999 + $60 PDI.   (Canadian dollars.)

For about 1/4 of the price I went out and bought the "Yardworks" Canadian Tire machine.    4 year warranty - 50W less output - 1dB more noise.   

I look at Hondas and the Yamahas and Cummins Onan units and begin to wonder if all these machines aren't coming out of the same damn factory in China.   I'm sure the Honda is better, but I'm not convinced it's 4 times better.   

I'll take my chances. 

Brought it home, filled it with oil, a few drops of gas, fired it up and sent Foster to get the hairdryer.   Works great.   Turned the hair dryer on the high setting.   Damned if we didn't kill it.   Sure enough had a look at the hair dryer and it's 1750W almost double the rating of the generator.   We overloaded it, but it shut down gracefully and started again no problem.

I'll take it on the boat and see how it does.   

I'll report back on how it fares in the C34 environment.   If it runs well through its four year warranty period, I'll be a happy customer.  If it's a major pain in the butt, I'll accidentally lose it off the swim grid, never admit my error, and quietly buy a Honda...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Footloose

Steve,

Does it fit in the portside cockpit locker?

Dave
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Craig Illman

Steve - This is where we're deficient in the US. No Canadian Tire or Tim Horton's. You can take back all your geese though.

Craig

Ray & Sandy Erps

QuoteI'll report back on how it fares in the C34 environment.   If it runs well through its four year warranty period, I'll be a happy customer.  If it's a major pain in the butt, I'll accidentally lose it off the swim grid, never admit my error, and quietly buy a Honda...

you will never make it in politics with honesty like that.  I really hope it works out.  I sat on the fence for a while before purchasing a Honda.  The lemming effect had a strong influence on me as well as parts availability on the imitation I was thinking about (Kipor).  I'd like to see someone start competing with Honda a little more.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

pjcomeau

Steve,

I looked at the Canadian tire one during the winter and posted the question here. There is definitely a strong Honda following. I really want to hear about your results, like where you are keeping it when stored / when running. Oil change recommendations were a lot more frequent if I remember right. How noisy is it?

I saw the Kipor at an RV parts store. It looks a lot like the Honda. Here in Canada the Kipor is not cheaper enough over the Honda.

I live an hour and a half from the US border and Mayberrys will ship free in US for around $650 (or $630 I can't remember). There are drop off places that only charge a few dollars to hold package.

The yardworks for $280 (on sale again) is worth looking into again...

Also, what battery charger are you using (i.e. can generator handle it)?
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

waterdog

There doesn't appear to be any dimensional spec for the unit so I took my tape measure to the store and and its about 1/4" taller than the Honda, so I'm betting I can squeeze it in the port side locker.

Pierre, I saw your earlier posting.  I was waiting for you to take the plunge, buy the unit and report back to us!   Somebody has to try these cheap generators and see how they work out.   Wait a minute, maybe half of the members here have already done that, kicked them off their swim grids, and quietly bought Hondas without mentioning...   

Anyway, I'm not concerned about whether the generator can handle the charger.  They claim "true sine wave" output.  Maybe I should bring into work and have a look at the waveform.  It probably has some step to it.  But the charger full out would be 40A at 14V or so ~ around 560W output.   Even if it was only 60% efficient it would still be OK.  Somebody checked with Xantrex and posted actual draw as quoted by the manufacturer - you can do a search on "generators" to find it.  It's not a concern unless you have a huge charger and a bank that will take huge amps.           
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

canuck

While in the states for a vacation in April, I ordered a E2000 from Mayberry for $879 all in. Canadian price was $1599 plus PST and GST. No state tax and shipping to Point Roberts,Washington included. I declared this as part of my $750 duty free and the nice people at Canada Customs waived any fees on the difference.
I too looked at the other options but a frend of mine who has worked for a Honda dealer and now works for a indy shop suggested to go with big red!
Bottom line, you get what you pay for. Good luck!

Ron Hill

Guys : The Honda eu1000 WILL fit in the port side cockpit locker for storage.

I've had mine for either 3 or 4 years.  Here are a few observations:
1. The Honda engine has a low oil cut off !!  So just because you think it has enough oil, it will not stay running if the oil is not completely full.  There is a low oil light that will light up - so pay attention to the "back " of the unit.  As I was spewing a few 4 letter words, my 1st Mate asked why that light was coming ON!!
2.  When the Honda won't start and you keep pulling and it sounds like it won't start (a particular sound) you may have another problem.  I took some "turner cleaner" from Radio Shack and sprayed it into the ON/OFF switch case.  The next pull it started!!
A few tips!!    :D
Ron, Apache #788

pjcomeau

Steve,

I bought one also @ $279. I tried it this weekend and I could not use it with my Truecharge 20+. I have my charger on the push button breaker and If I turn the breaker off, I was able to plug the AC and use a laptop, charge a phone, but if I turned on the charger, the internal overload would kick in (i.e. red light / no AC).

Have you had any luck?

Based on the numbers you calculated, you thought 850W was more then enough. I'm wondering If I have something else wrong in my AC wiring. I can use my charger on shore power.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Pierre Comeau

waterdog

I also fired mine up this weekend.   I took extra care to make sure I ran the refridgeration overnight, lots of lights, music etc.   Batteries were definitely in need of a charge.   I have the Trucharge 40.  The generator had no problem serving the load of the charger.   

I also have a small microwave that I think is nominally 700W but it overloads the generator causing shutdown.   

My conclusion with the whole generator experience is that if I go to Mexico, I'm investing in solar panels.    I would not kick this little green unit off the swim grid and buy a Honda.   For the price, it seems to do the job quite well.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

"THE" question remains:  Does this one heat the HW heater or not?

If it DOES or DOES NOT is the ONLY criteria of the owners for the SIZE of the generator in amps (maybe not physical).

The size of the house bank and the size of the charger are almost only an afterthought based on the peak load and draw.

So: given that, what's the conclusion ( in addition to solar for Mexico)?

Does it or doesn't it, or am I doing a 1960s Clariol commercial?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

pjcomeau

Steve,

I'm going to have to investigate why it would not run the charger. Last night I tried a 500W spot light also no success. I tried a portable 10A battery charger ok.

If I can get my truecharge 20+ working, then I'll be happy. I might have to try removing from inside wiring and rewire it to a plug so I can try stand alone and see if it works (that would show if I have wiring problem).

-PC
Pierre Comeau

waterdog

Quote from: Stu Jackson on July 07, 2008, 06:41:42 PM
"THE" question remains:  Does this one heat the HW heater or not?

For $280, you don't get hot water.   

Pierre, if a 950W generator can't run a 500W resistive load - it aint a 950W generator.   Kick it off the transom.  Buy a Honda.  But then I had no problem.   

Can you run the 500W light directly plugged into the generator?   You may be on the path to indentifying a major problem with your wiring.   I think you should buy a thermal imaging camera and go looking for hot spots!
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

pjcomeau

Steve,

I was home when I tested with the 500w flood light (right into the generator). I guess I'll have to return it.

Thanks
Pierre Comeau

Bobg

I have a honda 1000w, I bought a cord to go from the honda to the shore power connection and the honda wanted to trip out.  There is a rocker  on the honda that should be off when starting and activated while running.  I have been told that was my problem but havn't been up to the boat to try it, also I may have had my hotwater heater on when I plugged it in.  Wouldn't it be great to have the boat home when we want to try something?
Also Ron, I tried to put it in  my port locker and the lid wouldn't close, it was close but I needed another 1/4 to 1/2" to close it.  Did you have to modify yours a little bit to get it to fit? I have a 1988 hull number 613, I have no doubt yours fits but I wonder why I can't get mine in.

My friend just bought a 2000 for under 900 bucks at fleet supply in MN.  My 1000 cost me $589.00 at fleet.  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands