Hot water heater on/off switch

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Volk

Is there an on/off switch for the hot water heater (hull #1235).  I can only find a push button on the panel that looks like a trip breaker for overload purposes.  When I push on it it does not pop out like an on/off switch would do.  I am concerned about the longevity of the heater and its coils if they are always on while the boat is in port and AC power is connected to the boat.     :?:

RV   
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Stu Jackson

That IS the on off switch for the heater.  It serves BOTH purposes you described. See the wiring diagram in the Manuals section of the website at www.c34.org.  You only need to leave it ON for about 30 minutes when plugged into shorepower for the water to get hot.  We don't leave ours on all the time when plugged in.  If the water gets cold again, turn it on again.  It's not so much a longevity issue as it is a use issue.  Why use power when the water's already hot.  There is a hi limit on the electrical part of the heater, but it's most likely hotter than any water you'd ever need.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

RV, I had trouble with the outlets push button CB when I first bought my boat.  I used an aerosol air spray (air, not hair), and with use, it works now.  That said, it may be broken.  I just ordered a new one from an electrical supply company in order to add a third CB to accommodate AC to a DC power pack in order to run the refrigerator (thanks to John Nixon), but Seaward probably has exact replacements.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

RV : As Stu said the AC switches on your main electrical panel are breaker switches -- Push in and the switch is ON, push in and the breaker pops out it's OFF. 
You may need a new breaker switch.  If so call Seaward (562)699-7997 and tell them the amp size you need.
Hope this helps.   :wink: 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Based on the electrical material in the manual it's a 20A breaker.  I tried a reular breaker switch, rather than the pushbutton, but it would require a new hole since the pushbutton is on the left side of the panel and the body of the regular switch won't fit.  Try another puhbutton for simplicity of installation, or do the switch with extra work.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

RV, now you have the message about the push botton CB is the way you control the hot water heater. I also have a hard time to get it to pop out. I use the heater very seldom and the only way to get it out, which is the off position, is to use the butt end of a pencil to help pop it out. The pencil fits better than my finger.
That little heater is very well insulated. After motoring around during the day, I still have very hot water for two nights without using any power.
Good Luck, Dave :clap
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Ron Volk

Thanks to everybody for their replies,  when I get back to the boat I will try the suggestions mentioned & if they don't work thanks for the information about Seaward.  Hi Dave, Its Ron Volk from SYC ex GOOSE Cat 27 & 30 sailor.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Chris Martinson

I have a toggle switch after the breaker in the locker aft of the nav station for turning the hot water heater on and off.....this leaves the push button breaker to be a breaker in lieu of switch which it really isn't intended to be.  I also have the same arrangement for the battery charger...a switch after the breaker.  Much better and it is always clear if it is on or off.
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Ron Hill

Chris : Your idea will work also.

I also added some small neon AC lights from Radio Shack.  Now when an AC circuit breaker is ON the red/green lights next to each are also lite.  I got tired of not easily seeing (from a distance) what was ON or OFF.  Don't think I ever punch OFF the AC Outlets so its Green lite is always ON when I'm plugged into dock power.  It sure is nice to able to see the Red light for the water heater or the Red light for the battery charger lighted when either of those are ON.  Wiring them in is easy.  A thought  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788