Traveler upgrade kit?

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S.

To Mike Denest:

This is a different Steve, but I'll answer your question on entering Herrington North.  The primary entrance to Herring Bay is marked by a green #1 Fl 2.5s.  You can't miss it, its on a tripod.  From there, head 270 dgs to a red #2 4s. (on a pile).   This red #2 marks the end of the aptly named Long Bar, that at a depth of between 3-5 feet, pretty much protects the whole bay.  You can cross it North of the red #2, esp with a shoal keel, but if its your first time, I wouldn't recommend it.   From the red #2 head 0 dgs.  You are safer if you tend lean to starboard a bit.  You'll pass a green #3 daymarker on a pile.   Your next mark is a green #1 4s to enter the channel into the marina.  Pay close attention to the buoys as the channel has been shoaling badly.  They are literally moving the buoys every month.  Be mindful of depth, but don't let the occasional blip to 5 feet scare you, just stay in the channel.  As you near Herrington North Marina, you'll see some boats bear way to starboard towards a restaurant called Skippers, but pay no attention, they are heading to Shipwright Harbor.  The first dock you will see is the face of D.  A-D docks are brand new, built after Isabel.  If they put you A-D, you'll see a fairway right in front of you, and it leads to all 4 A-D docks.  Very tight quarters.  If E-T dock, then turn to starboard and just stay in the channel.  On any E thru T dock, odd # slips are to North side of the dock, even on the South.  The shoal in the middle of Rockhold/Tracey's Creek (to starboard) is very well marked.  It's very easy.  BTW, I'm in E-31.  .
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

I still have all the original blocks in the mainsheet system, they are getting a bit tired but still function.  Removing the one block seemed to help.  Neither the soft vang or the mainsheet get in the way of the hatch.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike Denest

Quote from: Jon Schneider on June 23, 2008, 02:04:39 PM
I think they put the "extra" block at the gooseneck in order to enable the mid-hatch to open fully.  This would also assume that one wouldn't use a vang, but you have to remember that a vang was considered optional on cruising boats throughout much of the '80s. 

Thanks Jon, the trouble with the original vang is the hatch can only open so far.  Eventually we will upgrade to a rigid vang.  The topping lift will remain but will only keep tension for the Dutchman.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

mnewber

Mike, rigid vang  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  BIG improvement.  I also removed the front most boom block once i installed my rigid vang and noticed no difference.  But my blocks are original and could use replacing (next purchase?)   
Now that the motorcycle, car and work projects are done  :shock: i can now focus on another boat project!  So I finally ordered my upgraded traveler last weekend it's supposed to be here tomorrow.  I can only imagine how much nicer that'll be if the rigid vang was ANY indication.  Also have the adjustable sheet system.  Garhauer  pretty much 'is da bomb!'.   :party