Air Conditioner for 1987

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Perry

I am considering installing A/C in my 1987 (new to me).  I live in the mid-south (Arkansas) where we have 90 degree days - 70 degree nights in the summer, humidity 50-60%) and can use the heater thru winter months.  The lake is deep (average over 100 feet) so the water is never too warm and it never freezes over.  Any suggestions where to install a dual cool/heat unit?

We prefer to sleep in the aft cabin under the cockpit, but that adds another challenge of getting cooling back there.  I would like to tie into an existing thru hull, so that makes the storage cabinet next to the navigation station a likely location, so I could tie into something in the head, but what about running ducts?  Or should I put it in the port lazerette?  Would it make too much noise in the bunk below? 

Also, what about a small window unit in the companionway for a Stopgap measure?

Experience is the best teacher, so any suggestions are very welcome!

Thx!

Jon

Steve S.

Hey Jon,

I have an AC unit in the nav locker and with a little swearing and elbow grease was able to run three outlet tubes - one to the aft cabin, one to the v-berth, and one to the main salon.   To run to the aft cabin, there is enough space behind the head to run a 4" inch vent to just above the fuel tank.  I cut a hole in the wood panel in the aft cabin and bought a round vent cover.   The salon was easy.  I just cut a vent right in the Nav station.  The v-birth was tough (but that is where we like to sleep).  I ran a 4" tube behind the port settee.  When I got to the bulkhead, I went up into the cabinet (behind the sliding doors, and then cut another hole in the bulkhead above the closet.  You can't see the tube behind the slider.  To direct all that air, I built a 5' x 5' x 5' box out of 1/4" inch plywood and cut 4 holes.  I then attached the 3 vents to the box and then using  the last hole, attach it to the AC unit outlet.   I used closable vents so we could direct the most air to where we need it at the time.

On the water supply, I had less luck.  I tried to use an existing thru-hull but even tho the pump was below the water line, I never had a good feed.  Just too many twists and turns.  I finally broke down and put another hole in the boat, in the nav locket just below the AC unit. 

Good luck.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

Lots of different options.  Search the message board, take a look at the projects and use the google search on the C34IA home page.  If your a C34IA member it has also been discussed in the Technotes.

I just use a fan to blow air into the aft stateroom, much easier than trying to run the ducts.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Price

I have 16,000 BTU reverse cycle heat /cool by Mermaid on a MKI  The unit was installed in 1993 and has been running ever since.  I run year round.  I use the maserator thru hull point for water input to pump.  Since boat is inland, no need for the thru hull for discharge.  I located the sea strainer in the bilge just so it is easy to clean without closing the sea cock.  Also give the bilge pump a chance to cycle when I do the cleaning.  Unit is located under V-Berth.  Air intake is under v-berth drawer.  Vents are in v-berth and salon.  None in aft cabin but we don't use any way.  Fans are in Aft cabin.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

RV61

I have a small window unit that I put in the companion way I believe approx 10000 BTU. I put a milk crate in the cockpit with a throwable square boat cushion on top of the crate then set the air conditioner on that. The top hatch board is put back in place and then I stuff a couple rolled up towels on the side and fire it up. I position fans to move the cool air inside the boat. It cools the boat down some what and gets the humidity out for Good night sleeping. Its a bit noisy but earplugs take care of that. This works for me as here on lake Erie there are only 4 or 5 nights per year I need air.  If I need to exit boat I use V-berth hatch.   
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

mtullier

Jon,

We have a 19K BTU installed in the V-Berth.  The larger unit is needed and enjoyed in south Louisiana.  The vents are located in the V-Berth and main salon. The raw water pump is located by the 3 thru hull fittings in the cabinet located in the head.  The engine and the AC pump have dedicated thru hulls.  The center thru hull is used for the sink drain and has 2-T's.  One for the shower sump pump and one for the supply water to the head.  I keep this thru hull closed unless I need to use the shower sump pump.  I just run water in the sink to supply the head with fresh water for flushing.  The advantages and disadvantages to our setup are as follows...
Disadvantages
1)  The raw water pump will loose prime when sailing.  The pump and strainer are both located below the water line.  Thru hull needs to be closed each outing or the pump will need to be primed.
2)  The center thru hull must be opened and the sink stopper must be in place each time the shower sump is turned on.
3)  Long hose run from the raw water pump to the AC unit located in the V-Berth.
Advantages
1)  Unit heats and cools very well.
2)  No additional thru hulls needed under the water line.

Mike

Mike