tint of lewmar opening ports, and latch removal and fixed portlight replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

We need to order replacement "glass" for 2 of our  "old style" lewmar windows that have crackled. What is the standard tint on a Mark 1, 1990?  tint comes in green, grey, and clear. Also It looks as if the hinges are attached with bolts that can be taken off. How do the latches come off?  Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Hill

Kirk : Take the point of a sharp knife and gently pry out the "button" in the center of the latch.  Then you'll see the screw head. 
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

I used a small (tiny) screwdriver, which also worked to pry off that center plug.  The color is grey.  I just changed all of mine.  What a difference. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Tom Glennon

While on the subject of glass.... is there a supplier of the long port and starboard fixed ports for an '87 vintage?  I had mine made by a local glass company 5 years ago, and now I am noticing slight crazing starting again.  Not sure if the plastic used was the right type.  I swapped out all the opening lewmar lenses at the same time and they still look like new!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

waterdog

Tom, do you recall if you used Lexan/polycarbonate or Plexiglas/acrylic when you had your fixed ports done?   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Tom Glennon on June 09, 2008, 01:44:22 PM
is there a supplier of the long port and starboard fixed ports for an '87 vintage? 

Tom, Cruising Concepts has the templates: cruisingconcepts.com or 800-899-3996.  I ordered a new set last month.  Haven't received them yet (the guy's a little flaky to deal with). 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

A search on "fixed port" gets this, among others:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2132.0.html

"Ports" catches all words with those letters in them, like "imPORTant" so try fixed portlights, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kerk fisher

Thanks for the info on the lewmar windows. Now, the opening ports. I also had cruising concepts do my fixed ports about 4 years ago. Initially the window color that the owner sent was close to the original but enough wrong to be disconcerting, so we sent them back with a broken piece from the old window. He then sent the right color.  He was very accommodating and thanked me for pursing the right color so that other catalina owners would have it right. I hope he's solved the problem.  Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com