Jib and Main downwind sailing

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Ewing

I've starting sailing Wednesday night beer can races in the jib and main class.  I can't get the boat to move down wind.  In light winds the boat might move 4-5 knots upwind with good pointing but I'm lucky to hit 2-3 unless I heat up quite a bit (less than 120 degrees apparent) then I don't feel like my VMG is any good.  My sails are loosely trimmed and I move the genoa car tracks forward.  I have a 150% genoa.

I plan to try the whisker pole tonight.  Is my experience typical?  The polars seem to confirm it is.  Does anyone have any hints?

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Footloose

Kyle,

Using the whisker pole may help as the jib won't be constantly collapsing and refilling.  You will get more boatspeed on a broad reach as you have discovered because you are getting lift out of the sails.  Part of the fun of racing is the strategy.  Now, you have to figure out if it is faster to get to the mark on a dead run or a broad reach with a jibe.

Have fun,

Dave
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ted Pounds

I think you'll have the best luck with the whisker pole.  That's the way I always raced as well as the rest of the fleet.  You have to be real good with the angles to optimize VMG by "heating up".   If you have the course on a GPS display in front of you while steering and know your boat's polars really well you may be able to pull it off.  What are the other boats in your section doing?  It's often best to go with the crowd.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

dave davis

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/images/polarDiag.gif

Take a look at this Polar Diag for the C34 without a spinnaker. It says for a downwind run with the true wind at 8kt, the optimum wind angle should be 162*. The VMG should be 3.496.
This diag is for a C34 using a 150% Jib. It is a handy bit of info. :clap

Good Lusk, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach