head florescent light

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

My head floresent light died, I bought a new element but it still won't come on, I removed the light fixture and was shocked how much they cost to buy, does anyone have a different approach to a light in the head? West Marine shows mine at about $127.00, the 110 fixture at walmart is only about 15 bucks, why is 12 volt so high? probably should go to LED, but they are expensive also. I did notice the light over the Fridge, has a element in it that will also work in a 110 light fixture:  evidently 110 floresencts will work in 12 volt, can anyone shed any "light" on the subject Thanks,  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ken Juul

most florescent fixtures have what is called the starter.  Silver cylinder looking thing.  Partial turn ccw and it come out of the fixture.  very common for them to fail also.  Might try replacing it before you go with a new fixture.  Could also be the switch, have you tested to make sure you are getting power?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jon Schneider

This one is smaller, but at 13 watts and $24 I would think it would suffice: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|65136|328876|771396&id=1037912
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Steve S.

Jon - If you want to replace the ballast (the mini silver thing) or the whole lamp, its much cheaper to go to an RV site.  I believe the fixtures in many older catalinas is the Thin-lite 112. 

You can find the whole fixture here for 30 bucks.

http://store.solar-electric.com/thinlites.html?gclid=CKiuq-yS25MCFQE4Ggod5xCVYw

Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Steve S.

Whoops, not to Jon - to Bob
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Bobg

thanks for the info guys, I did find good stuff on defender and also on JC Whitney, I got a good inexpensive plan going now
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Bob : In most of the RV catalogs a single 12v florescent fixture is about $20.  That should be enough for the head lighting. 
Ron, Apache #788