manual bilge pump

Previous topic - Next topic

sailingdream

So I was in the back locker cleaning out some lines(ok LOTS OF Lines) and checking to see why the vhf's speaker wasn't working when I noticed that the diaphragm has a cut and the rest of it seems to be dry and cracking.
Anyone happen to know the replacement parts below are the same ?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/11592/377%20710%201520/0/Bilge%20Pumps/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/10/Most%20Popular|1?N=377%20710%201520&Ne=0&Ntt=Bilge%20Pumps&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=10&Ns=Most%20Popular|1&keyword=bilge%20pump&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11&subdeptNum=75&classNum=168

btw, I have 1990(#1019)

kurt

I am not sure about your 1990.  This service kit did the trick for my '88.

Gusher Titan Service Kit

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|299222|84462|316440|315120&id=161316

Kurt

Ted Pounds

That's why it's always a good idea to use your manual bilge pump whenever you can, to verify it works.  (it also verifies you haven't misplaced the handle which you should have tied to the pump with a couple of feet of light line)
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

sailingdream

Thanks, I'll take a better look with my head in the locker to see if I can find any markings on the pump itself.

Ron Hill

Sailing : I'll guess that your manual bilge pump is a Whale brand.  It should be marked.
It's a good launch check out in the Spring to take a water hose ans fill the bilge with fresh water.  Then you can check out the float switch, the electric bilge pump and the manual bilge pump (I published that in one of the old tech note tips in the Mainsheet)   :thumb: 
Ron, Apache #788

David Arnold

Any advise to prolong the life of working manual bilge pumps?  I assume using the pump occasionally will help but are there any other things we should be doing?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

sailingdream

The whale model is it for sure, I did see that ID for the unit, just not certain the exact model. I did fill the bilge with fresh water in the spring but only let the electric pump do the job. OF course didn't check the manual one. (Mental note taken to remember to do that next time)

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 02, 2008, 07:20:29 PM
Sailing : I'll guess that your manual bilge pump is a Whale brand.  It should be marked.
It's a good launch check out in the Spring to take a water hose ans fill the bilge with fresh water.  Then you can check out the float switch, the electric bilge pump and the manual bilge pump (I published that in one of the old tech note tips in the Mainsheet)   :thumb: 

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The manual pump on my "89 is a Whale Gusher Titan and I was doing that very same test on my boat this past weekend of putting the garden hose in the bilge to check both pumps and while hand pumping the Whale pump, the plastic pivot piece broke on the top of the rubber diaphragm. The service kits were available at WM but it did not include the piece I needed and my diaphragm was good so I had to special order the part from Whale. Hopefully I'll get it by the time I go back to the boat.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net