Electrical Panel Problems

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

ABYC Standards, like any building Codes, keep getting "improved" over time, and because of boat usages.  For instance, our stock 55 OEM alternators were fine for the boats when first designed with "ice boxes" and no fridges.  Heck, the only thing electrical on the boats were navigation lights!  Come refrigeration, and other energy absorbing equipment, two things had to happen:  battery capacity AND charging had to be improved.  With that comes higher currents and the need for better protection, including switches and fuses.  That's why.  There's also no reason to believe that other than for liability reasons old switches, if you can find them, won't continue to work.  As I install new stuff I use newer fusing recommendations, but I'm keepin' our old 1986 panel,  its switches, the one green "ON" light, and the great Art Deco lettering until that Confederate money finally does make its comeback! :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Here's a link, from Seaward's own website, about their history of panels, including switch descriptions.

http://www.seawardproducts.com/upgdinfo.pdf

Another search source, after reading this, is "paddle switches" in addition to "rocker switches."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve S.

The fellow at Seaward didn't elaborate, but if I had to guess it may be the fuse set up and the way they are wired, not so much the rocker itself.  Mine has a bare positive wire coming off the breaker and soldered to a gang of three switches.    I would guess that more modern systems are a bit more self contained.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay