Mast work slide show

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Allen

I just wanted to throw this up for anyone who wants to "see" what goes on when you have your stick yanked.  We were overdue to get our original 1988 standing rigging replaced along with replacing the old hood continuous line furler with a new Harken MKIV.  Of course, while the mast was down we replaced the VHF antenna and cabling, added a new anchor light along with a new masthead/deck light.  We also added a new windex and Raymarine wind indicator (part of the new Raymarine ST60 Plus 3 pak).  KKMI of Richmond, CA did the new rigging for us while we added everthing else. (cheap labor!).  I have to say it was an interesting experience!

Go to the link and hit the slideshow button.

http://public.fotki.com/randypictures/painkiller-1/out-comes-the-mast/

Rick
s/v PainKiller
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Craig Illman

Rick - Nice pictures! I did my standing rigging in January 2006, typically the wet season up here in Seattle. There are a couple things I wish I could do over, but will need to wait for another excuse to pull the stick. It came out at about 2pm on a Tuesday and back in on Thursday afternoon. We had to time for low tides, so the fixed crane at the yard had enough height to snare the balance point below the spreaders.

Craig

Ted Pounds

Rick,
What model MKIV furler did you get? #1 or #2?  Thanks.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jon Schneider

Ted, you can see it on the label of the furler in Rick's pictures (pg 2).  It's a #1.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

lazybone

Rick,
Did you find anything after removing the mast that confirmed it was time to change the rigging?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Rick,

Well done and documented.  Thanks.

Superior job to install the dollar coin at the mast step.  We put in a Candian Loonie for our offering - we have family in British Columbia.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."