Mounting a Navpod on the pedestal guard

Previous topic - Next topic

gerard

Has anybody experience with mounting a Navpod for the chartplotter on the pedestal guard? I have to drill four small holes(fixing) and one larger hole(wiring).
I am afraid to hit the existing wiring from my other Raymarine instruments. Of course I can pull out all the wiring, but that is a terrible lot of extra work and I am trying to avoid that.
Gerard de Graag   # 1751
Herkingen Marina
the Netherlands

Mark Wey

Gerard

Use a dremel (small grinder that takes different discs). It is like a grinder on a much smaller scale. Grind/cut only as deep as you have to in order to break through the metal. Cut the larger hole for the wire 1st. You can then see the wires in the pedestal and move them out of the way in order to use a conventional drill for the screw holes.

Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Ron Hill

Gerard : I mounted a Garmin 545 Chart Plotter on the top of the pedestal guard with a 1" rail clamp! 
Ron, Apache #788

Jack Hutteball

Gerard,
I mounted my Garmin plotter in the Navpod on the pedestal guard.  The only wires in the pedestal guard are the wires running up to the instruments at the top of the guard.  I assume you have those in a short wide navpod above where you will install the plotter navpod.  The wires in mine were running on the port side of the pedestal, which I determined beforehand by opening that upper navpod.  I therefore drilled the larger hole for the wiring on the starboard side where there were no wires.  the other holes I used a very small drill to put in a very small hole where the wires were running so I would not go far into the pedestal  Then I used a larger drill to enlarge the hole.  That way there was no problem hitting any wires.  Also the small hole let me push in a small wire to push the inside wires to the back of the tube.  It really was not a problem.  Just go slow as you drill holes on the side with the wires.  I also mounted the antenna on top of the pedestal to avoid running the wiring all the way to the stern rail and having to drill all the holes up into that.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington