Sheared bolt on Edson pedestal gear shift lever

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

There is a running discussion about how many tools should be kept aboard Hali.

The "as many as she'll carry" school moved ahead recently when a pipe wrench did double-duty as a gear shift lever.

The gear shift lever at the helm station failed, then came off, as Hali headed toward the dock under power.  A single bolt that secures the gear shift lever to the shaft had sheared.

When you are servicing your Edson engine controls, you might consider replacing this part.  It costs about 49 cents here in Canada.  At least in this case, its useful life seems to be 11 years.

As it turns out, my co-owner and his boat-load of family and in-laws got Hali under control pretty quickly using the pipe wrench, but the mishap could have occurred at a worse time.

The bolt in question was 1/4" (diameter) x 3/4" (threaded length) x 28 threads to the inch, marked "F593C THE" on the hex head. [Author's amendment: I should mention that perhaps this bolt was not original equipment.  On May 21, I checked the fastener securing the throttle lever on the other side of the pedestal.  It was a Phillips head machine screw, and I replaced it for good measure.  Assuming the same type of fastener was originally used in both locations, it seems there might have been a previous failure in this part, although there could be more benign explanations for the presence of two different types of fasteners. Hali now has a good supply of spare bolts of the right dimensions and all the tools necessary for a root extraction at sea...but of course the next problem will be no more predictable than this one.]

There is information about servicing your Edson engine controls at http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/PDFs/installation/EB396EngineControlInstr.PDF.

I couldn't find any similar post but would be pleased to see a link added if anyone knows of a reference to the same issue.

Michael MacLeod, "Hali" 1997 Hull #1352, Universal M-35B engine, Vancouver, BC

noworries

I had the joy of this issue last weekend at the rendezvous.  The tranny lever sheared the screw off as we were waiting for a harbor patrol boat to assign us a mooring.  Luckily they had just come along side us so they helped us on to the can.

I had a buddy bring over a drill and was able to get it out.  Couldn't find any 1/4" screws with that fine a thread on the island.  Hopefully it will be easy to find at HD or Lowes.

I ended up moving the good screw from the throttle screw to the gear selector side, took the binnacle off and rigged a wrench to the throttle side so I could push/pull it for throttle and shift gears normally.

So I'd advise people to swap them out if they are 20 years old.  I'll be replacing both of them and carrying a couple spares.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

John Langford

Same thing happened to me just inside the breakwater at Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes Washington on my way to an assigned visitor's slip. Nothing like the feeling of having the gear shift lever come free in your hand, with the boat moving along nicely at idle speed, alone on the boat, as you leap below to find vice grips. I managed to use the vice grips to get into neutral but they wouldn't allow me to go back and forth between forward and reverse. Managed to get into the slip with help from the deity. Yikes!

I still have the original bolt in the throttle lever as I don't think there is nearly as much chance that it will shear. And, yes, I carry a spare!
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ron Hill

WOW, I've never heard of this before - the bolts breaking !! 

You guys that have had it happen to you need to call Will Keen at Edson (508)995-9711 and pass on your experience. 
Sounds as though Edson got a bunch of bolts - Made in China!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

learjetzz

Never heard of it either, I'll remove mine and I'll NDT them.

Thanks For The Heads Up !!!!!

Ron Hill

Lear : I don't plan on replacing my Edson bolts because they are BC (before China!!!)  I believe that ours are made in the USA. 
You might want to get a set of spares bolts - as a just in case.

This is probably why the Bruce anchor (made in Belgium) was $300+ back then and the claw anchor is only $100.  Who know what goes into the Chinese metallurgy is in the claw???
(probably the lead from the lead they have to take out of the paint they sell us!!)
Ron, Apache #788

Kyle Ewing

I experienced this joy of ownership Sunday.  Thankfully I was finishing docking when it let go.  It's very difficult to shift gears using vice-grips.

I get to drill it out and fine a replacement screw later this week.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Kevin Henderson

Interesting and timely topic. 
I noticed this past week that my shift lever seemed a bit wobbly and loose.  Looking closer I noticed this infamous screw perilously loose.  :shock: :shock:  I would imagine that if the screw works itself loose unnoticed, over time with the stress on being exerted while shifting, it could probably shear off. 
Thankfully I tightened mine right up no problem, but after reading this thread I may, more closely inspect or replace the screw.  Perhaps after doing so, applying a little locktite may be in order to prevent the screw from loosening so easily. :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

noworries

If they are original I would replace them!  It's MUCH easier to do before they shear off!

Les Luzar

Now that I have to pay attention to my throttle and gear shift lever screws, should it be time to replace the plastic levers with Stainless levers too? I am sure that my levers are still the original 25 year old levers. Should these be purchased from Edson? or are there generic levers out there?
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Jim Hardesty

see reply at
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6822.0.html

don't know if they have all the edson parts but the service and prices are good

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

noworries

has anybody ever replaced the 2 shift levers with one?  My wife really liked the "powerboat-like" one lever shifter/throttle on the bene 37 we just sailed in the Caribbean.

Les Luzar

I am goint to put those stainless levers on my to do list for the future. Thanks guys!
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Kevin Henderson

Yet another item from the "Critical Upgrades" List.

If I didn't already have them, I would be on line right now buying them.   :abd:

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Edson_Throttle_and_Shift_Levers
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau