transmission dip stick

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

I have a m25xp, checked the transmission fluid, what a pain, dipstick comes up right under the HX, you have to pull it out with 2 fingers, (laying on your side in the back berth), by that time, the fluid is wiped of the stick, and you don't know what you got, I did get a dowle rod and marked it the same as the dip stick and was able to read the fluid, does anyone do it different? Do you check it with the cap screwed all the way in? the book says to read it at the groove in the dipstick.   Thank you  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Bob : You check the fluid level in the xmission with the dip stick just sitting on the top NOT screwed in. 
I've written this up before, but pull out the stick and roll it on to a clean paper towel - the stain will tell you where the fluid level is!!  A thought.
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

Thank you Ron, I did check the archievs after the post, and saw that, will have to go back and check it with out it being screwed in.  Too bad it isn't a little easier to check, like on a car.    will definitly check archeives before posting from now on.  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Bob : Everyone need some help getting started. 
This is the 21st season for my C34 and I'm still learning!!  Our web site has a wealth of information. 
Good luck!!   
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

My transmission dip stick has an embossed ring at the bottom.  You can see the pink fluid collected in the ring when the level is correct.  As stated before, you don't screw the dip stick in, just place it in and rest it on the threads.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

dgill

.....Or you might fashion a dipstick out of a colored wire tie - using the loop as the stopper - and the long pointy end, just the right length to match the existing trans dip stick, from the start of the threads.  This works very well and is flexible which allows you to easily check the fluid level.  I have done the checking this way for many years.   :thumb:

D. Gill
First Point of Aries
Hull #389
1987 Mark I
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md