Shaft removal / Drop rudder?

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

I thought I had read that I could remove the shaft without removing the rudder, but I can't see how. Not without damaging/bending something.

I think I have a newer rudder. How do I tell. It seems longer then owners guide picture and it's more rounded at bottom. Is this my problem.

If I have to drop rudder, what are the steps for removal?

I have the wall off the aft cabin. I'm assuming I'll have to remove propane locker. After that what are the steps?

SinceI'm solid surface, I will have to be lifted. I will be replacing shaft, cutlass, new shaft seal. I'm hoping to drop rudder, put cutlass, and shaft, then put rudder back and lower back down.

Help!...
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

tonywright

You can remove the shaft without dropping the rudder, but only if you remove the cutlass bearing first. To do this you need a tool that will press the fitting out while the shaft is still on.

BUT: Since you plan to replace the shaft, then just cut the old shaft in two. It is then simple to remove!  Then you have easy access to remove the old cutlass bearing. After that you can put the new shaft in. The secret is the extra space you get with no cutlass bearing. It is very tight against the rudder as you push the new shaft in, but everyone has manged to do it. Recommend you tape the end of the shaft on the screw threads to avoid gouging the rudder.  At this point you will need a tool of some kind to push the new bearing in. Mechanics always seem to have something that will do the job.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Pierre : If you look in the Mainsheet tech notes I published a couple of diagrams of the fin and wing keels new (eleptical) and the old rudders overlayed .
Ron, Apache #788

pjcomeau

Thanks guys,

The people had suggested to do the same (cut shaft and bearing), then see if enough space.

Ron has suggested greasing the shaft. Which part of shaft, the section going through strut or part against rudder?

If you grease part that goes through shaft, how do you clean after and before putting cutlass bearing.

The guys in the yard did not believe me when I said that the bearing is just pressed in (not set screws). On my strut there is a small hole and they thought it was meant for a set screw. Anybody know what it's for?

Pierre
Pierre Comeau

pjcomeau

Ron,

This is what my rudder looks like.
Pierre Comeau

Kyle Ewing

Here's a drawing I received from Catalina describing the difference between the old and new rudders.  Hope it helps.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

tonywright

Pierre, it is for a set screw. It holds the bearing in place. You need to loosen it to remove the old bearing, and tighten it once the new bearing is installed. If it is missing, then I guess you need a new set screw!

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Pierre : 99.5% of the C34s have a pressed in cutless bearing. 
You could have a strut with two set screws.  It looks to me (from your pix) like you have a new elliptical fin rudder?  You never mentioned your type keel!   
Ron, Apache #788

pjcomeau

Ron,

I have a fin keel.

The bearing I just removed was just pressed in. There are definitely two holes in my strut, but they are two different sizes (???).

From your project pictures, it looked like your shaft came out on starboard side of rudder. Mine, if it goes by, is on the port side.

I'm getting a shaft made locally this week and will see if it goes in without removing the rudder.

Can you comment on greasing the shaft? To go through strut or against rudder. If through strut is there an issue with cleaning before pressing cutlass?

Thanks,

Pierre
Pierre Comeau