propane tank

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

Any best price ideas on replacing my 10 year old aluminum propane tank?  I'm not at the boat and not sure of the standard measurements of the stock tank in a 1997 boat.  Filled up the old one just days before the 10 year expiration of the tank, and since it is the old style without the bleed valve, and requires recertification, thought it might just be easier to get a replacement tank.  Any ideas appreciated.   live in the NW.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Jon Schneider

If I could, I'd replace mine with one of the new clear (epoxy?) tanks. Seaward sells them, others too.  Once you find the name on the Seaward site, just google it for other vendors that might be cheaper.  That particular tank may be somewhat differently sized from standard tanks (I believe it's British-made), but otherwise 10 lb tanks are pretty standard.  Your only real choice is steel vs aluminum.  If you don't go non-metal, go aluminum.  You may have a slight problem fitting the new tank in your old locker; the new valves make the tanks about 3/4" taller than old-style ones.  You can get a retrofit cover from Seaward that'll give extra room.  I can't believe you've found anyone willing to fill your old tank still.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

captran

seems like there is some extra room at the top, as we usually keep an extra 16 oz bottle and the lid still closes.  In the bahamas, getting the tank filled was no problem.  Last year in Ganges we got it filled the day before the tank expired, and Canada seemed to have no problem.  I'll look up seaward, thanks  We usually head out for the whole summer and rather than waste what is in there, a second tank to replace it when it's empty seemed like a good idea.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Jon Schneider

I was mobile when I responded earlier, so it was impossible to look up the URL for you.  Here's Seaward: www.seawardproducts.com.  You might also look at Trident: www.tridentmarine.com.  I'm sure you know this, but if you're going with the SS, you can get one virtually anywhere (e.g., Home Depot).  Aluminum ones are a bit harder to find, but many RV supply places have them, and RV stores are generally cheaper than chandleries. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Peter Lewis

If you're looking for a lost-cost option, you can look into getting the original valve replaced with one a new one equipped with an overfill prevention device.  I too had an expired tank with the original valve, and had it re-certified and refitted with a new valve for about $20.  They checked the tank over a stamped a new expiration date on it as part of the deal. 

Ken Juul

The new valve does stand taller.  If I remember correctly, the top of the Seward Propane Locker can be modified by removing the inner liner in the area of the valve.  It's a soft plastic that cuts easily with a sharp knife.  The functionality/integrity of the top is not changed, but it allows enough room to fit the new valve in.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Randy : I agree with Peter, take your old tank in and have them install an OPD valve.  It's a "hell of a lot cheaper" than buying a new tank. 
If that new valve is taller it's less than an inch.  On my new tank it was the "welded on guard" that was taller, not the valve itself.  Ask the Propane Gas Co in your local area how much taller - if it is taller?  A thought. 
Ron, Apache #788

Michael

Randy, we had the aluminum propane tank on Hali re-valved last year, on recommendation of our surveyor.  It was inexpensive, as Ron says, and the tank still fits in the propane locker.  The gas company thought there was no need to replace the tank, which was in fine condition.
Michael MacLeod, "Hali" 1997 Hull #1352, Universal M-35B engine, Vancouver, BC