Lines lead thru Traveler - replacement parts or mount on cabin top

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Martinson

I believe the PO upgraded the traveler on my boat to a Harken system....this wasn't original from what I read on my search....traveler works well even under a lot or pressure for what it is worth.  However....I didn't bring my camera with me this weekend and don't know how to attach pictures.....the lines on both sides go thru an aluminum block literally with 3 holes for the lines to go thru that line up with the rope clutches and jam cleats....the aluminum corroded and the holes the lines go thru have bumps and are not workable.  I was able to remove the "block" by drill partly on the bolt - the drill went off into the softer aluminum - after the screw broke off.  I can't seem to find the part or anything similar on Harken's web site and will call them Monday and see it they can help.  Does the popular Garhauer system have the same arrangement or is there a separate set of guides (not sure of the correct term - circles that the line goes thru and screws down to the deck) that mounts on the cabin top (after the deck organizer by the mast but before the line goes to the clutches?  This appears to be a serious option since I messed up the beam when trying to drill out the screws holding this "block"  Any thoughts or expiring would be appreciated.....thanks
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Stu Jackson

Chris, how to post pictures I just updated and is here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html

Most have the Garhauer, which does have what I think the term you're looking for is "GUIDES" underneath the traveler track.

Unless you want to completely redo your track and sheaves, try Harken first and then switch to Garhauer.

Does this help explain what you are looking for?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

Chris, even if you have a Harken traveler, what you're describing are Garhauer eye leads (or line guides as Stu called them).  If you look in a Schaefer or Ronstan catalog online, you'll see single line versions and find the proper name.  But nevermind that; instead, call Garhauer tomorrow. They'll understand what you need. The problem is that your PO installed them with SS screws without any electrolysis protection (don't make the same mistake!). BTW,now would be the time to think about any future lines you may want to lead aft through these guides. If you think you'll want room for expansion, order a more "holey" version. Garhauer will make any combo you want (e.g., double, triple, two over two, three over three, etc.).the new guides (I got new ones a couple years ago) now line the holes with SS so there's less likelihood of corrosion in the hole.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Chris Martinson

Thank you - and yes both were right - contrary to what the PO sales literarture stated - it was Garhauer and they are assisting me....BTW - they are very helpful.

Thanks again.
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945