Leaky fuel tank – How to get rid of odor, Reuse old fuel & Tank Photos

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

Our shake-down cruise was aborted today after finding fuel in the bilge. The fuel tank was the culprit.   So I spent a considerable sum on 5 gallon fuel containers, pumped the tank dry, and removed it.  After reading the many posts on this topic I can see that it was only a matter of time for this.  Anyhow, I recall (but can't find) a recent post where somebody mentioned a miracle cleaner for getting rid of diesel odor.  Does anyone remember what it is?  Also,  I would like to reuse the old fuel (the tank was full, of course), but want to filter it first.  Is this something I can do, or can I bring it somewhere to have it done? 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Bob : If you pumped the tank dry I hope that you used the output of the Racor filter to filter the fuel as you emptied the tank. 
To refilter the fuel before it goes back into the tank, I recommend doing a temporary replumbing of the electric fuel pump and the Racor filter.  Reverse the inlets and outlets of both the filter and the pump so you can put a fuel hose into a 5 gal jug and suck out the fuel 1st going thru the Racor, then thru the pump and finally back in to the tank !!

After all of the fuel is back in the tank, change to new spin on filter then replumb back to the original fuel flow of tank - Racor - Electric fuel pump - engine!  Hope this helps. 
Ron, Apache #788

Bob K

Ron, That's a great idea.  Wish I knew that when I was removing the fuel  - I used one of those drill pumps with garden hose down the deck fill.   Thanks!
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Cookie

Hi, New to this forum.  Have 97 34' MK II that I'm repairing after hurricane damage.  What is involved in removing tank once fuel is out?  Look like two mounts are on the lower forward section of tank.  Are they the only ones?  Are there many fittings that need to be taken off that can't be seen?  Thanks,  Doug
1997 Catalina MKII

BillG

Been 4 years since I removed mine, but my recollection is that there are a couple of screws that hold it to the plywood base, electric wires to the fuel sender, fill hose  and air vent hose at the aft end of the tank and the hose to the pump at the forward end.  Good time to replace all hoses, once empty it is really easy to remove. Hoses are held on my clamps.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ken Juul

Bill missed the fuel return hose on the front end of the tank, otherwise he is spot on.  Nothing hidden, everything is in the open. 

When removing the tank, start at the front end by pulling it into the aft berth.   As you do this, slid the rest of the tank forward.  You are "rotating" the tank clockwise as you pull it into the aft cabin.  The tank is not heavy, just awkward.  Especially if you have left a gallon or so fuel in the bottom.  It is a good idea to tape or plug all the "holes" in the tank to keep residual fuel in and have a second set of hands to help man handle it outside.  Once out of the boat easy for one person to carry.

As for the odor, I seem to recall it was a Calgon product.  Some confusion exactly what.  Might try a search on calgon or fabric softner.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

mnewber

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4149.0.html  Try this link i think that is what you are refering to.  Also i've used simple green in the past and it removes a lot of the odor to a degree.  I still have the fuel tank platform that I believe the only way i'm going to remove that smell is to remove and install a new platform.  I think it's been soo saturated over the years of a leaky tank it's the only way to really remove the odor emitting from that area.

:thumb:

Ted Pounds

Might try an ozone generator.  That's what they use in fire damaged houses.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

cree fetterman

I have read that rubbing alcohol is to be used in fresh water tanks to get rid of diesel fuel odor. Strong rubbing alcohol or cheap booze will absorb the diesel and get rid of the odor. Rub it in and wipe it up a few times.
Cree

Vic Suben

A couple of years ago I had the same problem.  I emptied the fuel tank by using the boat's electric fuel pump to pump the fuel into 5 gallon buckets that I bought at Home Depot.  West Marine sells a funnel that filters the fuel as it is poured into the tank.  After replacing the tank I used that funnel to filter the fuel as it went back into the tank.  I did not pour all the buckets' contents into the tank, but left the dregs in the buckets.  I disposed of the dregs in a tank used for old oil.

When I changed the Raycor fuel filter at the end of the following season, I found it to be very clean - almost no gunk.

I got rid of the odor by thoroughly airing out the boat.

Hope this helps.

Vic Suben
C-34 Surprise (Hull No. 453)
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

kiencarlos18

They should to get it,then all from the  West Marine sells a funnel that filters the fuel as it is poured into the tank.

prh77

One other thought for that old fuel; if you have oil heat, just dump it in your tank and start fresh.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Michael Shaner

This is the product Peggie recommended for diesel odors... http://www.pureayre.com/... she is the odor Guru...

QuoteGet a gallon of product called PureAyre (http://www.pureayre.com)...it's the only thing I've found that will not only eliminate organic odors, but even diesel and smoke. Put it in a garden pump spray jug and spray every surface, nook and cranny in your bilges and engine room...in fact, the whole boat, including your cushions if they stink. Once you've done all that, if the diesel odor returns the source will be easy to locate, 'cuz odors always start at their source and spread, and are always strongest at the source.

Michael & Alison Shaner

Steve Sayian

Cookie (Doug),

Here are some pictures I took last fall when I removed my tank.  Should give you an idea of the connections.

Steve

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass