Generator Recommendations???

Previous topic - Next topic

mtullier

Hello, 

I purchased a 1987 model a few month ago.  I am considering installing a generator to run the A/C(19K BTU- appx. 2700 watt draw @ start up).  The aft storage locker looks like the best fit.  Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Mike
Mike

Ron Hill

Mike : You may want to rethink the size of your AC unit. 
The Honda 2KW is a great gen set, but won't fit in either the aft or port side lockers.  There have been many post on where people store their Honda 2 KW.  I have a Honda 1KW which stores nicely in the port side locker, but has it's limitations on output and would never run a AC unit!  Good Hunting. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

From your post I would assume you are talking about a permanent installation rather than a portable like the Honda.  From other cruising message boards Westerbeke gensets seem popular.  Many problems with Kohler, a few with Onan.  Fischer Panda is a well known brand, here is a link about some problems with at least one model  http://www.sailwhisper.com/logs/news_20080225.php  

I don't recall anyone installing a Genset on a C34.  I remember reading an article quite a few years ago on installing one under the salon seat on a C36 I think.  Maybe in the Mainsheet.  You might want to ask the question on one of the websites more oriented toward cruisers.

Here is a link to start your research http://cruisenews.net/db/pagetemplate.php?cat_id=57

If you do the installation please document and take pictures so we can add it to our project page or submit as a Mainsheet article.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

sedelange

I am installing a Fischer Panda behind the aft wall of the rear berth.  The Fischer Panda does not appear to be for the faint of heart.  I have a single cylinder Kubota and a 3750W generator I was going to assemble as a genset, but came across the FP at a great price. 

Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas